The NSCF is funded by the Department of Science and Technology, and is a distributed facility involving museums, universities and science councils and is co-ordinated by the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI). The NSCF is offering the following bursaries for postgraduate studies in 2017 /18 – 2018/19.
- 4 Masters bursaries with a value of R90,000 per year for a maximum of two years.
Criteria and eligibility:
- The bursaries are offered to South African citizens registering full time at any national institution in 2017/18 – 2018/19.
- Recipients of these bursaries may hold other bursaries as long as these are below R60,000 per annum.
- Recipients may not hold permanent employment.
- Recipients may already be registered for their degree, and have started their project and in such cases the bursary will be paid on a pro rata basis.
- Successful applicants will be expected to carry out projects in taxonomy which includes morphological and molecular approaches. Preference will be given to applicants working on the following taxa: terrestrial and freshwater invertebrates, especially nematodes, mites, beetles, flies, Heteroptera, Hymenoptera, Trichoptera, Odontata (specifically nymph identification); marine invertebrates, and marine fish.
- Alternately, applicants could carry out projects that use collection specimens for their project, which may include understanding environmental change, or enhancing food security.
- Applicants are expected to have a real interest in taxonomy and / or collections and in furthering their career in this field.
- A supervisor for the project must have been identified, and a brief project proposal must have been developed.
What the bursary covers:
The bursary allocation is intended to cover living expenses only.
Project supervisors are expected to cover the running costs of projects.
The payment of registration fees through the NSCF will be negotiable.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are also required to submit the following documents:
- Full CV
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of highest qualification
- Statement of acceptance from supervisor
- Project out-line (1-2 pages)
- Letter of motivation
Please name each document clearly and send with the cover sheet to M.Hamer@sanbi.org.za; Subject: “NSCF bursary application”.
Emails must be 10MB.
Closing date: 17h00, 15 May 2017.
Click Here to Apply