Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Trust has been addressing maternal and child health problems in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town since 1979. Philani’s mandate is sustainable community health, and, over the years, the organisation has developed programmes to meet the needs of the communities it serves.
They aim to improve health outcomes by combining skills and resources with the knowledge and resources that exist in the community. Philani’s programmes promote family health, focusing on the support of pregnant mothers, prevention of child malnutrition and the rehabilitation of underweight children. The organisation is committed to limiting the suffering of families infected and affected by HIV and preventing the spread of the virus.
Job Title: Enrolled Nurse
Location: Crossroads, Khayelitsha
The purpose of this position is to find an honest, caring, hardworking person to join their team.
- Supervise and coordinate 10-15 Mentor Mothers
- be responsible for their good performance and ensuring they are implementing the programme to the highest standards in their respective community
- Hold each mentor mother accountable for her time, work performance and generally adhering to her job description
- Mediate any conflict within the programme
- Assist with the recruitment of new MMs
- Organise medicals when necessary
- Hold monthly meetings with all MMs
- Encourage and educate clients on disease prevention and promote a healthy lifestyle according to Department of Health messages.
- Network and maintain a good working relationship with various community structures, NGO’s and service providers in the community
- Be an advocate for the clients and Mentor Mothers
- Create awareness about the Mentor Mother Programme in the community
- Ensure that clear communication with Coordinators around problems and successes is maintained at all times
- Relevant nursing qualification
- Minimum one to two years’ staff nursing experience
- Administrative skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in community health work
- Xhosa as first language and English
- Valid drivers’ license will be an advantage
Submit a CV and motivation letter to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 28 February, 2020