Anova is an NGO that empowers people and changes lives. Good health and quality of life is what motivates us to provide healthcare solutions and support for those who need it most.
Job Title: Community Health Worker – Home Based Care
Salary: Market Related
Job Type: Contract
Sectors: Medical NGO & Non-profit
We are looking for Community Health Workers who will offer an integrated health and wellness service package to the individuals in the households being visited. The package consists of interventions that focus on health and wellness (ranging from prevention, promotion, rehabilitation and palliation).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the patient with personal hygiene.
- Wound care, how to dress a wound using appropriate material.
- Stoma therapy, catheter care, nail and foot care, tracheotomy care.
- Observations: temperature pulse and respiration.
- Be able to assess an emergency situation and provide basic life support and first aid in order to stabilize a patient.
- Assist patient with mobility, exercise limbs, take patient for walks, assist in and out of bed and to the toilet, have knowledge of motion exercises.
- Preparation of patient’s snacks and meals if necessary.
- Distribution of food parcels where necessary and if patient’s circumstances meet the required criteria.
Care of Patient’s Environment
- Make patients bed, replacing with clean bed linen when necessary.
- Tidy and clean the patients’ sleeping quarters, disposing of any soiled night clothes and bed linen and washing of these if necessary.
- Infection control.
Health and Education
- Educate patient and relatives about caring for the patient at home and resources available.
- Specialized care of catheters etc.
- Universal blood precautions.
- Nutrition: Identify food groups and educate patient/family on planning suitable meals for their needs
- Refer patients to health facilities and service providers where necessary.
- Know the when, why and how of referrals.
- Reporting of deterioration of patient’s condition to supervisor
Administration & General Duties
- Establish a set of records and ensure that they are up to date.
- Complete the appropriate record forms accurately and promptly ensuring that these are given to the supervisor timeously.
- Follow all policies and procedures as required by the organization and ensure that all work targets are met.
- Follow daily work schedule as worked out by the supervisor.
- Participate in meetings as required as well as attending training courses and workshops related to the nature of the work done.
- Supervision/administration of medication.
- Collection of prescribed medication (repeat) from the CHC
- Ensure as far as possible that the patient completes their treatment in the prescribed time given.
- Report any patient that defaults on treatment immediately to the staff of the CHC.
- Report any reaction to any medication to the OTL.
Any other tasks as agreed with line manager.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Skills Required
- Grade 10-12
- Homebased carer qualification/certificate
- Experience working within communities
- 10-day HIV Counselling Certificate (advantageous)
- TB/HIV Adherence Counselling Certificate (advantageous)
- Must have a background knowledge of HAST & NCD
These positions will be based in Parow, Gugulethu, Kraaifontein, Straandfontein and Westlake. So please take this into consideration when applying.
Application Deadline: September 12 2023
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Anova Health Institute is a provider of essential health services and therefore has a mandatory vaccination policy. Should your application be successful, you will be required to submit your proof of vaccination before commencing employment in the role.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 4 weeks of submitting their application should assume that they have not been successful.
Unsolicited CVs from agencies will not be paid agency fees should their candidate be placed at Anova.
For more information on Anova visit our website: www.anovahealth.co.za