CSIR Built Environment unit has a vacant position for an Internship: GIS Analyst / Town Planner in the Planning Support Systems competence area.
The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
The incumbent will be expected to contribute to research work in the fields of urban and regional planning and regional development with a specific focus on GIS-based spatial analysis and planning support.
This position is based in Stellenbosch.
- Undertake on the job GIS Accessibility training.
- Maintain GIS databases.
- Undertake GIS mapping.
- Establish and update reference databases for projects outputs.
- Produce tables and writing basic reports.
- Conduct literature searches.
- Conduct desktop research.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree with specialisation in GIS and subjects related to geography, town and regional planning, development planning or related fields.
- Must be proficient in the use of GIS and database. Proficiency in ArcGIS will be advantageous.
- Good interpersonal and team skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in an interdisciplinary team.
- Must be self motivated.
- Problem-solving and solution-seeking orientation.
- Must have good communication, presentation and writing skills.
- An interest in spatial analysis and map-making will be a recommendation.
- Must have working knowledge of MS Office Package.
Closing date: 10 October 2014
Click Here to Apply CSIR Application