Amandla Development is a nonprofit organisation that works to empower South African youth with equal access to quality education opportunities. Amandla facilitates the Philippi Collective Network, a cross-sector group that fosters a community-driven approach to improving learner wellbeing and education outcomes.
Job Title: Finance and Operations Manager
Location: Cape Town
Start date: 1 July 2020
The purpose of this position is to find a top-performing, highly motivated manager to implement effective financial management systems and procedures and who has experience managing an organisation through a similar stage of growth. The background and experience to meet easily the financial management requirements of major international donors is a must, along with significant background in operational and logistical management. The role will be about 50% financial management, 25% operations, and 25% HR administration. A person with experience managing large grants for major international donors such as Global Fund and PEPFAR and experience developing operational systems for a growing NPO.
- Financial Management
- Refine and implement financial systems
- Communicate new processes to Amandla employees
- Monitor internal controls and compliance to procedures
- Develop annual operational budget in collaboration with all team members inclusive of notes and assumptions for board approval
- Monitor income and expenditure against approved budgets
- Produce and distribute monthly management reports to agreed time scales
- Produce detailed quarterly cash flow forecasts
- Produce financial reports detailing actual expenditure against forecast to agreed timescales
- Ensure that donor financial reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts, including timeframes.
- Strategic Financial Planning :
- Revise budgets and forecasts as required if changes to circumstances
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, set and monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of Amandla inclusive of appropriate investment structures to ensure financial sustainability
- Operations and HR:
- Ensure that the organisation is compliant, on an ongoing basis with all statutory requirements and payments as they relate to matters such as VAT, UIF, PAYE, COIDA etc.
- Manage the organisation’s property, vehicles and equipment, including maintaining an up to date fixed asset register
- Developing and maintaining operational and HR systems
- Suggest and implement productivity and efficiency improvements, including IT
- Screening and selection of employees in conjunction with Executive Director, Programme Manager and Project Manager where relevant
- Minimum three to five years in a similar role
- Demonstrated, high-level proficiency with bookkeeping and financial management, budget development
- Strong knowledge of rules and regulations for donors such as Global Fund
- Demonstrated strategic management skills
- Highly skilled with Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Organisational management with the ability to coach staff and manage a budget
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage shifting deadlines
- Availability to work with Board Treasurer on quarterly financial updates and reallocations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in community development
- Strong, demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Submit 1) a CV, (2 pages maximum), and 2) a one-page motivational letter outlining relevant experience and interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include 3) your most recent salary and 4) salary expectations. NB: Any applications not including ALL of this information will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Friday, 29 May, 2020