CareWorks’ KPIF project is South Africa is aimed at reducing the number of new HIV infections in Key Population groups, specifically Men who have Sex with Men (MSM). We therefore seek to employ 3 qualified Professional Nurses (NIMART qualified with Dispensing Licence) who will be seconded to locally identified CSOs within specific sub-districts, responsible for overseeing HIV services tailored at meeting the needs of the MSM clients.
The comprehensive package of services available to MSM clients includes HTS, STI screening and treatment, ART initiation and PrEP initiation with ongoing patient management support in order to reach the 95/95/95 PEPFAR targets. The position will also include elements of supervisory duties, logistics management, and reporting.
The program provides community-based outreach services and, therefore, this position is not a clinic-based position but rather required to work in the field, linked to outreach and mobile service delivery. The sub-districts for the project are Sedibeng (Gauteng), Cape Winelands (Western Cape) and Nkangala (Mpumalanga).
Job Title: Professional Nurse
Location: South Africa
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clinical assessment of MSM to deliver a comprehensive package of care including HIV diagnosis and treatment (ART), STI diagnosis and treatment and PrEP for high-risk negative clients
- Assessment for ART initiation according to SA Guidelines as well as WHO staging, same day initiation, UTT, etc
- Taking clinical history and conducting physical examination
- Collect bloods at initiation and later follow-up as per guideline (6th and 12th month intervals)
- Dispensing of ART treatment to eligible clients
- Conduct adherence counselling
- Follow up support of ART initiated clients
- Referral of TB clients according to National TB clients
- Assessment of PrEP clients for eligibility
- Dispensing of PrEP according to NDoH guidelines
- Monitoring of PrEP clients
- Linkage into ART for sero-converting clients
- Engage with Private Network GP’s to support follow up of clients
- Assist with procurement of commodities and treatment
- Update client ART and PrEP files held at GP offices
- Conduct file audits
- Conduct training with network GPs
- Work with local DoH to procure commodities for HTS, ART and STI Treatment and clinical stationery;
- Manage and supervise a working and up-to-date dispensary to record all stock received and dispensed
- Collect and collate monthly stats for reporting to funders and DoH
- Work with Peer Navigators and Patient Management Counsellors to trace defaulting treatment clients and re-link into care
- Coordinate the safe disposal of medical waste and correct recording of supporting documents in this regard
- Performs other duties as assigned
- This position has some supervisory duties.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Degree/Diploma in Nursing with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
- NIMART Qualified with valid Dispensing Licence is essential – candidates who do not have a Dispensing Licence will not be assessed
- Diploma in Clinical Assessment, diagnosis and treatment will be advantageous
- Postgraduate training in Primary Health Care Nursing or Public Health is highly desirable
- 5 years’ proven experience in working in a primary health care setting
- Must have extensive experience in HIV, AIDS and STI treatment and care
- Must have experience in managing patients on ART
- Must have proven experience of working with Key Population groups, specifically MSM
- Previous experience working with the private sector (private GP/retail pharmacies/private clinic) is advantageous
- Expert knowledge of South African HIV/AIDS/STI/TB Management guidelines
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council (current)
- Familiar with TIER.Net advantageous
- Valid Driver’s License (own vehicle for daily use is essential)
- Intermediate computer literacy and report writing
- As this is a field-based position, the incumbent must have the ability to work remotely and without supervision
- Ability to work non-traditional hours (i.e. night outreach and weekends)
- Comfortable with field based service delivery
- Reliable and responsible
- Non-judgemental of Key Population groups, specifically MSM
- Customer service skills
- Organised and task-orientated
- Problem solving and decision-making ability
Should have good written, oral and interpersonal English communication skills. Knowledge and fluency in local languages (dependant on location) is an advantage. Ability to read, analyse and interpret training materials and clinical/technical guidelines and protocols is required.
Must be adept with using the MS Office suite particularly MS Word and MS Excel.
Competitive based on qualifications, skills and experience.
Please note that only candidates who meet the above requirements will be considered.
Should you qualify and be interested in applying for the above-mentioned vacancy, please forward your updated CV, Certificates with a covering letter and your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled. CareWorks seeks to appoint these positions immediately.