Purpose of this job:
To provide strategic support and coordinate communication activities from a business, function and geography perspective, by leading, planning, developing and executing internal and external communication and government relations programs, consistent with global Public Affairs (PA) and Government Affairs (GA) functional strategies.
The PA&GA Leader will be part of the PA&GA Team for the region and a part of the function’s global network, as well as a member of the Sub Saharan Africa Business Leadership team. The leader will manage all disciplines as defined by Dow and in specific focus on functional areas such as:
This position reports to the Public & Government Affairs Director, Middle East, Africa and Turkey Region with added accountability to the Sub Saharan Africa General Manager.
Job information and working conditions
- Out of town, overnight travel is required
- Full time position with regional responsibilities
List examples of goals that would be typical for this job
- Provide expert counsel in multiple communications disciplines.
- Knowledgeable in related business/functional disciplines and their strategic interrelationship with communications.
- Demonstrates mastery of multiple communications disciplines. Requires extensive knowledge/understanding of the application of communications and GA strategies in a business environment. Must be sensitive to and understand the impact of the activities of related and unrelated disciplines. Must be able to integrate that information into communications plan/program recommendations and to execute same.
- Establishes and maintains extensive networks of knowledgeable resources. Maintains a leading edge technical capability through association involvement and leadership, readings and personal relationships with recognized experts/influencers in specific areas critical to Dow.
- Informs, advocates and influences the creation of public policies and government actions that work at intersection of the country/regional priorities and agenda, and the Company’s business objectives
- Is an advocate of change/improvement and takes an active role in its initiation and implementation.
- Leads/participates as a team member in the development of communications training programs. Understands quality performance and continuous improvement process principles and is instrumental in instructing others in their application within the communications function.
- Recognized within the profession as a knowledgeable expert.
- Represents Dow’s interests through leadership roles in associations and related activities.
- Ensures integrated communications for the business/function including all tools and technologies.
Critical Success Factors
- Ability to conceptualise, create and implement complex communications & GA programs within challenging business environments critical to Dow.
- Mastery of multiple communications disciplines and in-depth knowledge of all related and unrelated internal and external influences.
- Awareness/appreciation of global implications of decisions and actions being proposed. Actively works with peers in other geographic areas to assure continuity and efficiency within programs of global scope.
- Widely recognised by peers and external associates for both industry and professional expertise.
- Can operate with no direction and frequently initiates concepts, program proposals and the adoption of technology new to Dow.
- Demonstrates superior human relations/interpersonal skills and can operate effectively with all levels of management, both internally and externally.
List the global and functional competencies most critical to this job, and describe why.
Competencies for this position can be found under: http://publicaffair.intranet.dow.com/psfinder/en/default.asp?
(Public Affairs Leader)
Competencies most critical for this job include:
Public Affairs Disciplines:
- Able to create, implement and measure success of:
- A comprehensive Public & Government Affairs program that would enhance the company’s image and position within the local and regional marketplace and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Responsible for editorial direction and message content for all company news
- Act as the company representative with the media and the community
- Responsible for the achievement of the Public & Government Affairs regional strategy
- Develop short and long term plans for all Public & Government Affairs disciplines to ensure goals and objectives are achieved
- Act as internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel.
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, develop and guide qualified personnel.
- Make decisions that balance the needs, priorities and viewpoints of a global organization.
- Help others in communicating their ideas more effectively.
- Clearly explain the rationale behind decisions, and link decisions to their concerns and perspectives.
- Keep the organization updated on progress, accomplishments and best practices.
- Build relationships outside the work group that enhance the performance of the group within Dow.
- Work in a strong team orientation to leverage in support
- Proactively develops, executes and takes ownership of complex, multi-stakeholder public affairs/communications plans. Develops creative campaigns/ programs that change attitudes and behavior in various stakeholders. Designs integrated programs that include “e” components; uses web-centric approaches. Selects, optimizes and applies measurement tools for both research and evaluation.
- Proactively develops written communication/Public Affairs plans and recommends to management. Understands client’s priorities/ business strategy/plans. Advises others in Dow on message/tactic development. Can coach others on writing and verbal communications. Provides functional support during crises.
- Regularly serves as a spokesperson for basic issues. Applies media relations/public speaking techniques.
- Knows and uses all PA &GA work processes and standardized tools and global vehicles. Understands and uses Dow branding tools. Integrates work with global PA & GA networks, and actively participates in networks.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, or public relations preferred.
- Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Possess excellent command of English Language Skills.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing communications and public relations activities.
- Experience in budget management and people management.