In partnership with the National Department of Health and the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), we propose to conduct a program evaluation focused on the intensification of support for existing Ward Based Primary Health Care Outreach Teams (WBPHCOTs) in South Africa.
The overall goal is to describe the implementation of these activities, and to assess whether they were delivered as planned, what worked well, and what was challenging. As part of this project, a process evaluation of the expanded WBPHCOT activities in South Africa will be conducted to 1) identify barriers, facilitators, and key lessons and 2) assess the extent and fidelity of the project implementation and identify best practices and barriers to implementation.
The evaluation will use both quantitative and qualitative methods including a survey, key informant interviews (KIIs), focus group discussions (FGDs), a structured health facility assessment, a knowledge, attitudes and practices (KAP) survey, and field-based observation of the WBPHCOT team.
Job Title: Regional Laboratory Advisor
Job Location: Pretoria
Reporting to the PHIA (Population-based Impact Assessments in Resource-Constrained Settings under the Presidents Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) 2.0) Laboratory Director and PHIA Regional Project Director, the Regional Laboratory Advisor, PHIA Project will support the implementation of a laboratory agenda in PHIA implementing countries, assist with country level laboratory assessments, strengthen country laboratory networks through capacity building and quality management systems, support biomarker trainings, conduct monitoring visits and support the implementation of laboratory procedures and activities for PHIA.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support the implementation of a laboratory strategy for PHIA supported countries.
- Assist in country level assessment of laboratories to determine their capacity to support PHIA laboratory activities.
- Provide technical support for the development and implementation of laboratory QA/QC procedures including adaptations of SOP’s and operational manuals for use in PHIA focus countries.
- Assist with PHIA country laboratory supplies needs assessment and inventory including for training and field implementation.
- Assist in reviewing, ensuring consistency and quality of laboratory documents, standardized tools, training materials, SOPs, and protocols as needed for adaptation to specific country contexts.
- Provide technical support in the implementation of biomarker testing including standardizing operational manuals, implementation of standardized procedures for the collection, testing, processing and storage of laboratory specimens.
- Provide technical assistance for the design of PHIA toolkit, including leading technical input in standardizing operational manuals in PHIA focus countries
- Support biomarker trainings in PHIA focus countries.
- Assist in building PHIA laboratory capacity by conducting monitoring and support supervision through site visits of field work.
- Assist in supervising highly skilled country laboratory advisors
- Approximately 50% travel to supported countries throughout Africa
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Desired experience and qualification
- Master’s degree in biomedical sciences or related relevant scientific field.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in laboratory services and laboratory management.
- Experience implementing quality control programs in a laboratory related setting.
- Knowledge in developing laboratory related procurement and supply lists.
- Prior experience in training and supervision of multi-cultural laboratory professionals.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Knowledge of HIV related testing and laboratory processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly organized with extreme attention to detail and the ability to work independently to reach identified deadlines.
- Ability to creatively solve problems
Interested applicants should send their detailed CV’s to [email protected] with the job tittle in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Sunday, 23 June, 2019