ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities.
ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African team of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
Job Title: Professional Officer – Climate Change Governance
Job Location: Cape Town
The successful candidate must have a strong scientific and/or technical background related to governance in the African context. We are looking for someone to join our team to contribute strongly to the progression of our governance work; which considers how better governance in African cities increases climate resilience. Candidates, via their applications, should provide evidence of the following experience:
- Worked within governance systems in Africa, as a practitioner, and/ or conducted research related to governance in Africa. It will be advantageous if this experience is related to improving governance, particularly at the local and/ or sub-national level, and in relation to climate resilience.
- Experience working on multi-level governance initiatives and/ or activities. Our meaning of multi-level governance includes ensuring sound collaboration across government tiers vertically, between government bodies within a tier (e.g. municipal departments) horizontally, as well as between diverse sets of individuals and groups from government, academia, the private sector and civil society.
- Planning, implementation and management of projects with proven experience of working in, and managing multi-disciplinary project teams, and undertaking applied research.
- Stakeholder engagement, strategic partnerships, business development and acquisition, resource mobilisation and partnership development.
- Relevant Masters or PhD degree, or equivalent qualification.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in. A record of peer reviewed publications will be an added advantage.
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across Africa and internationally.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations, as well as the private sector on behalf of ICLEI.
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style.
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience.
- South African resident/ valid work or critical skills permit.
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally.
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context.
- Proficiency in English and another global language, especially French, Portuguese and/ or Swahili will be a strong added advantage.
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including:
- a certified copy of your ID and/ or documentation indicating your ability to work in South Africa,
- available starting date, and
- three contactable references.
to Mellissa Moses ([email protected])
Application Deadline: Monday, 10 June, 2019