Posted on :
24 May, 2016
24 May, 2016
Specialist: Radio Information
Organization Name CTO – Radio Planning & Optimisation
– Fast moving industry with constantly changing business requirements and technologies
– A Highly legislated / regulated environment requiring compliance and adherence to Industry standards and benchmarks
– Highly competitive market with new and established competitors and aggressive competitor strategy and delivery
– Customer Experience centricity and evolution towards service based experience excellence.
– Migratory trend of managed service delivery now being brought in by 3rd Party Partners and the need to govern such entities.
– Industry & corporate pressure to build network capacity more cheaply (declining ARPU, declining profit margins)
– Competitive pressure to continually improve network quality with ever increasing traffic load.
– Rapid growth of data services and need to accommodate/adapt to them Pressure to maximize quality yet decrease the CAPEX as well as OPEX cost per site in a growing network.
To maintain the RAN network configuration by investigating, developing and deploying the appropriate specifications, tools, standards, procedures and systems to meet MTN’s customers’ quality expectations; to encourage the application of configuration management principles to other related areas, and to develop specifications for future features and to test and implement these features in the preferred systems and processes.
Provide support in design and review of set of methodologies, processes, architectures, and technologies that transform raw data into meaningful and useful information used to enable more effective strategic, tactical, and operational insights and decision-making
– Maintain the RAN configuration by investigating, developing and deploying the appropriate specifications, tools, standards, procedures and systems to meet MTN’s customers’ quality expectations.
– Facilitate and support Radio Planning in generation and provision of radio network data, including cell data and configuration
– Support governance requirements in MSP environment, Accelerated Rollout plans and special projects(Green etc)
– Compliance to baselines (including new site activations, swopouts etc)
Planning & Delivery
– Contribute to the business plan of the Radio Quality Management department
– Develop specifications for future features and to ensure the development, testing and implementation of these features in the preferred systems and processes
– Do the integration of RAN systems, network elements, external systems, 3rd Party systems
– Ensure systems, including supporting hardware infrastructure is sufficiently dimensioned to support and enable key requirements of Radio Access Network Quality and supports increasing needs of Enterprise Business Unit needs
– Ensure Timely Configuration of applications to support new parameters, commands and technologies and network software releases
– Maintain data integrity in the application and network as far as possible.
– Participate in scoping sessions
– Expose desirable and undesirable network settings and changes to all relevant parties.
– Recommend and develop specifications for future parameter & network topology management tools, tool features, participate in negotiations with vendor for implementation, oversee the development, testing and implementation of these
– Diagnose and correct malfunctions in systems by interfacing with MTN staff in several departments and with the vendor of the system
– Work with subject matter experts & developers in specifying new features and capabilities
– Develop procedures and processes for efficient execution
– Capture knowledge of MTN’s engineers in software rules and default parameter settings
– Capture baselines in configuration management system/s and promote and audit adherence across the network
– Ensure correction of database problems and programming bugs
– Make network parameter changes on live network when required
– Recommend new configuration & parameter management tool features and advise Specialist: Configuration Management and Manager Radio Information Management on desired implementation
– Promote adherence to work procedures and processes
– Prepare detailed configuration documentation for implementation and integration
– Suggest best radio network parameters for all technologies to deploy in network
– Provide guidance, assistance and high level support to Radio Planning and Optimisation Engineers on radio network configuration.
Ensure high availability of Radio Planning and Optimisation tool suite and supporting environments
Preferably a BSc. Electronic Engineering/Computer Science or B-Tech. 3 year Qualification in Informatics/Information Systems/Computer Science, Recognised IT or Electronic Engineering qualification or equivalent at the discretion of the Radio Information Management line manager.
• 3 years experience in GSM/UMTS or other telecommunications systems with a proven track record
• Understands the principles & process of ACP / AFP optimisation and enhanced radio optimisation features
• Computer Systems experience with good understanding of Computer Software & Hardware
• Oracle PL/SQL,
• UNIX skills
• Preferably 1 years programming in the following: Oracle database development, Oracle PL/SQL, Application GUI development, Web development, HTML, XML, Object Oriented design and development
• Project Management experience advantageous
• Principles of Change Management
• Able to work independently of supervision
• Strong team-player
• Integrity and openness
• People sensitivity (must be approachable)
• Knowledge Sharing
• Good inter-personal skills – user feedback and knowledge transfer and communication with colleagues
• Able to motivate team
• High cultural awareness