Action Volunteers Africa (AVA) is a registered non-profit organization that aims to contribute to a society where every unemployed young person is empowered to build a sustainable future. AVA embraces volunteering as a tool to unlock the potential of unemployed youth (18-25 years) by training and placing them in full-time volunteering positions in a variety of contexts.
Through these sustained volunteering opportunities, enriched by a unique personal development programme, the volunteers gain experience and are empowered to become economically independent and socially responsible citizens.
Job Title: Schools Manager
Location: Cape Town
The purpose of this position is to take responsibility for the exciting school programme being run by AVA in under performing schools in the Western Cape Metro. The Schools Manager will be responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of quality programmes in the schools, positively affecting the participating learners’ academic results.
Reports to: Director of Programmes.
- Overall responsibility for the implementation and ongoing management of AVA/ YeBo in schools according to standards and requirements of partner organisations such as the ASPO
- Maintaining excellent working relationships with all stakeholders, incl. government, school staff, educational partners and AVA team
- Management of relevant AVA staff through weekly meetings and performance monitoring
- Overall responsibility for learner recruitment and retention in the after-school-programme
- Ensuring that the AVA Mentors are appropriately trained and supported to deliver high quality programmes
- Assist with training of staff and youth volunteers
- Overseeing all relevant data collection from the schools and academic programmes to ensure that usage, attendance, baseline tests and other data is correctly captured and retrieved for reporting and monitoring purposes
- Liaising with all educational partners around training and resources provision, site visits etc.
- Overall responsibility for writing and timeous submission to the government and other relevant stakeholders of monthly, quarterly and annual school reports
- Overall responsibility for scheduling and attending weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings with school principals and other stakeholders as required
- Representing AVA at various workshops and community-based meetings
- Attending all AVA staff meetings and staff development sessions
- Assisting with the development of marketing material
- A relevant degree, preferably in education or social sciences, with at least 3-5 years of middle management experience
- Good leadership and excellent communication skills with good computer literacy
- Own car and driver’s license essential with willingness to visit schools in townships
- Flexible, resilient, reliable, multi-tasker with high degree of personal responsibility
- Ability to trouble shoot and solve problems
- Must be an implementer and a responsive, decisive, action-orientated individual who can deliver according to deadlines
- Ability to facilitate training sessions and develop training modules
- Excellent report writing and data analysis abilities
- Passionate about youth development and improving education in low quintile South African schools
- Fluency in Xhosa and/or Afrikaans will be an advantage
Those interested in applying should submit their CV with a motivation to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Friday, 3 April, 2020