Posted on :
22 Jun, 2017
22 Jun, 2017
PG Glass is the leading glass retailer in Southern Africa, specialising in installing new and replacement automotive and building glass. Through a branch network of 130 fitment centres, PG Glass offers a comprehensive glass installation and replacement service to insurance, fleet trade and individual customers.
A challenging position exists in the Engineering Department at PFG Building Glass, Springs, for a graduate electrical/ electronic engineer reporting to the Senior Control Engineer.
The float glass manufacturing process makes extensive use of PLC and SCADA control systems to do the following types of control:
• Very accurate mixing of dry raw materials (such as sand and dolomite) for the glass process
• Continuous control for the glass melting and annealing process. This includes extensive use of PID control loops with scope for advanced control, such as model-based multivariable control.
• High-speed discrete control for the glass cutting and packaging process.
• Extensive use of variable frequency drives in all areas.
• Extensive use of Ethernet Networking, for all levels of communication.
• Control of the operation of large diesel generators to automatically start and switch in the event of power failure. PFG have in excess of 10MVA installed emergency generating capacity.
• SCADA systems for supervisory control
• An interface between the control system environment and the following: a data historian
an MIS system, SAP
The engineer will be assigned an area of responsibility in one of the above areas once a good overall working knowledge of the control systems in each area of the factory has been obtained
• Sc Engineering or B Engineering (Electrical/Electronic)
• 1-3 Years experrence
• A specific interest in industrial software and control using PLCs, variable speed drives servo system, SCADA systems and integration of specialised external systems.