Mamelani is a registered NPO with section 18A Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) Status. Founded in 2003, Mamelani has grown into an established, high performing organisation offering much needed services to identified marginalised groups.
The organisation has spent the last 16 years designing and implementing innovative interventions to improve the lives of youth, women and children in the Western Cape.
Job Title: Youth Transitions Facilitator
Location: Cape Town
The purpose of the position is to focuse specifically on young people who have grown up in Child and Youth Care Centres (formerly known as Children’s Homes) and Foster Care. The programme helps prepare young people transitioning from care at 18, and also provides post-care support after they have transitioned. We also work with as well as staff from organisations and the child and youth care sector at large, to develop strategies and best practices for working with this group.
- To offer transitional support and mentoring to young people aged 17 -21, who have grown up in Alternative Care especially Child and Youth Care Centres (CYCC’s)
- To provide ongoing individual one-on-one mentoring and support to young people before and after they leave care
- To facilitate monthly experiential group sessions
- To plan, facilitate and evaluate wilderness processes and camps
- To facilitate practical support, assisting young people to access further education, accommodation, skills training and job placement, supporting a successful transition from Alternative Care – Child and Youth Care Centres
- To advocate for improved services and practices that support young people transitioning from Alternative Care
- To develop and maintain relationships young people, strengthening their resilience and internal resources
- To develop and maintain relationships with staff at Child and Youth Care Centres and appropriate stakeholders in the Sector
- Female candidate over 25 and have at least 5 years’ experience in working with young people
- Qualification in Youth Development or Community Development or relevant counselling/mentoring/coaching experience essential
- Ability to develop meaningful relationships with diverse young people, colleagues and key stakeholders
- Proven experience in facilitating group processes and mentoring/individual work with young people aged 16 and above
- Preferably multi -lingual, must be proficient in English
- Computer literacy and confident in MSOffice applications (incl. Excel), online research and email
- Driver’s license (Code 8) essential
- Excellent administrative, communication and presentation skills essential
- Organisational skills and ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
- Good listening skills essential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Be willing to work over weekends and after hours
- An understanding of Youth Development would be beneficial.
We are looking for a responsible female candidate who can be a role model for young people. The candidate must be able to work independently and part of a team, and have and an insightful, reflective and responsive approach in their work. You must love working with young people.
E-mail a cover letter and your CV to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Friday, 13 September, 2019