Posted on :
31 Jan, 2012
31 Jan, 2012
Main Purpose of the role:
The Mechanical Technician is the custodians of PM (Planned Maintenance) in his/her respective area and is responsible for the refurbishment and modification of equipment or machinery. He/she is required to lead the problem solving teams for chronic breakdowns and support planned maintenance, TPM philosophies and inspections. The Mechanical Technician will also be responsible for establish standards and cascading these in the form of trainings to Artisans.
Through the application of TPM Principles:
* Machine installation including levelling and alignment
* Faultfinding and problem solving on all manufacturing machinery
* Able to identify deviations and non-conforming items on equipment
* Able to assess exactly what steps to take to rectify these deviations and non-conformances
* Make recommendations for continuous improvements
* Raise both Safety and Engineering Tags
* Participate in the continuous revision and updating of standards
* Raise One Point Lessons and cascade these to others
* Raise Kaizens that will improve efficiency
* Update TPM boards as required
* Ensure that any breakdowns or short stops in area of responsibility are recorded
* Able to carry out the work required to an exceptional standard as well as identify any further potential problems that might be visible.
* Ability to plan and execute the work that need to be done to the machinery i.e. print out machine performance report, order or gather the required spare
* Work on the lathe to turn and manufacture key items for modification purposes
* Lead and support out refurbishment of plant equipment.
* Ensure availability of key spares from the factory.
* Develop technical skills of other engineering staff
* Works with Maintenance Foreman to coordinate, prioritise and allocate work of Artisans for the maintenance of plant equipment
* Implements Effective Maintenance practices in area of responsibility
* Able to take responsibility for, and support team decisions.
* Controls and executes work against allocated budget
* Coordinates activities of contractors on site
* Completes all required documentation to standard
* Maintains and updates documentation of check sheets, maintenance tasks and job codes
* Ensures that Company safety rules and regulations are adhered to within the sphere of responsibility.
* Implementation and assists with maintaining Unilever safety and 5S standards in the area of responsibility.
* Completes tags in area of responsibility to the completion ratio required
* N6 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Trade Test (or equivalent)
* 3 years min in maintenance environment
* Relevant experience in manufacturing machinery
* Engineering skills (Mechanical)
* PC skills (SAP, Access, Outlook, Microssoft Office
* Problem solving skills
* Experience in turning or operation of lathe and milling machine
* Analytical Ability
* Pro active
* Influencing Skills
* Team Player
* Good communicator and demonstrates willingness to share expertise and knowledge.
* Working knowledge of different types and applications of pumps, valves, heat exchangers, conveyors, fluid mechanics, different types of materials, welds, operation of the lathe and fans.
* Able to read and understand an engineering drawing.
Closing Date 6 Februaury 2012
For any recruitment queries please call 0800980612