SDI (formerly Slum/Shack Dwellers International), is a global social movement of the urban poor launched in 1996. It forms a network of community-based organisations in countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. The SDI secretariat, based in Cape Town, provides a management and administrative function to the network.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Cape Town
Employment Type: Is a full time position – initial 12 months contract, with the potential of renewal for a further one year based on the availability of funding.
The Finance Officer will report to the interim director of finance and will be responsible for day to day financial administration of the SDI secretariat. SDI would like to invite candidates with relevant experience, commitment, and agility to apply for this opportunity to be part of an exciting organisational change process.
- Take an active part in ongoing work to establish, implement effective financial systems and controls to ensure sound management of SDIs funds
- Contribute to timeous preparation of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual financial reports
- Process payments and correctly record entries in compliance with SDI policies and procedures in PASTEL
- Maintain payroll system and process staff salaries monthly
- Support the payment and submission of all statutory returns
- Register/ deregister staff with the Dept. of Labour for UIF as when needed
- Maintain good relations with SDIs banking partner/s and deal with all queries related to banking
- Manage forex payments, requests and transfers
- Work with SDI programmes staff to deliver funding reports
- Support procurement processes, ensuring alignment with policies and donor contracts
- Monitor project expenditure and work with the interim Finance Director to take corrective action where such expenditure exceeds or is not consistent with agreed budgets and donor requirements
- Support management to request the contractual payments from sources of funding timeously
- Work with project managers in managing their budgets
- Ensure project / programme managers have accounts of monthly expenditure
- Work with programme staff to prepare financial reports for all donors as required by them and within the contractual timeframes and in accordance to donor contracts
- Assist in the preparation of monthly bank reconciliations
- Electronic and physical filing of records in line with SDIs systems
- Support of audits
- A Bachelor of Commerce/ Accounting degree / Diploma or similar field
- 3 – 5 years’ experience of financial administration / management in the NGO sector
- Proven track record of managing multiple donor accounts successfully
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Pastel Accounting software in particular, internet, e-mail and other tools of electronic communication and research
Skills and attributes
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Ability to maintain the highest level of honesty and professionalism when dealing with staff, funders, project participants, and partner organisations
- Ability to in and across teams and demonstrated competence in interaction with programme staff
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify data quality issues.
- Attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and thorough engagement with tasks.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Results-oriented, professional, accountable and proactive.
Submit a CV (maximum three pages), motivation letter and three contactable references to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 18 December, 2020