The Centre for Environmental Rights is a non-profit organisation and law clinic based in Cape Town, South Africa. They are activist lawyers who help communities and civil society organisations in South Africa realise our Constitutional right to a healthy environment by advocating and litigating for environmental justice.
Job Title: Human Resources and Office Manager
Location: Cape Town
The HR & Office Manager must have a strong human resources background who can take primary responsibility for CER’s HR management and administration, but who can also oversee the effective operation of their office. This person must promote a collaborative, people-oriented approach that advances our objectives of diversity, inclusion and transformation, and contributes to the enhancement of staff morale and well-being. CER seeks to employ someone who is passionate about environmental and social justice, and who will take pride in being a key member of the team at the CER.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that the Centre’s human resources policies and systems are communicated, implemented and kept updated
- Administration of human resources, staff well-being and mentoring
- Operational contract management, such as lease agreements
- Managing IT support coordination and other asset infrastructure
- Providing hands-on support to the Centre’s Diversity, Inclusion and Transformation Programme
- Ensuring CER financial policy is followed for payment
- Providing general support to accountant to ensure she has all the information needed for bookkeeping
- Managing all administrative staff and in so doing:
- Checking payment authorisations for operational matters
- Overseeing grants administration
- Managing petty cash and completing petty cash sheet
- Assisting staff with payment requests
- Convening staff meetings, including remote set up and preparing agenda for staff meetings
- Overseeing all travel arrangements: booking of flights, accommodation and car hire; and building relationships with travel service providers
- Overseeing stock of office supplies and stationery
The Human Resources and Office Manager must meet the following criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources management and office administration ( a postgraduate qualification would be an advantage, but we will consider other relevant or appropriate qualifications)
- A minimum of 5 years’ working experience
- Good understanding of employment law and human resources best practice
- Excellent written and spoken English, with additional South African languages an advantage
- Excellent people, management and networking skills
- A strong communicator with high emotional intelligence
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet multiple deadlines
- Complete reliability, and ability to take initiative to improve systems and practices and attention to detail
- A commitment to high quality service
- A sensitivity to social issues and the needs of communities impacted by environmental degradation and injustice.
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion and transformation.
Centre for Environmental Rights (CER) strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this post.
The salary range is R359 672 to R486 615 (total cost to company) and the salary offered will be dependent on factors that include the qualifications, level of expertise and experience of the successful candidate.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application [email protected].
Application Deadline: Monday 12th August 2019