The Consortium for Refugees and Migrants in South Africa (CoRMSA / the Consortium) is a national network with a current number of twenty-six (26) member organisations in good standing whose main objectives and mission are the promotion and protection of the human rights of asylum seekers, refugees and other international migrants in ways that promote the well-being of all in South Africa and the region.
The Consortium has over twenty years of experience working on migration and refugee protection engaging in advocacy and lobbying, including policy submissions; coordination and network building; capacity building; community engagement and dialogue; rights awareness and information sharing. Our member organisations include legal practitioners, community-based refugee- and migrant-led organisations, advice offices, academic institutions, and social service providers amongst others.
Job Title: Communication and Media Officer
Location: Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Opportunity type: 1st December 2020 to 31st December 2021.
Employment Type: Full time (5 days a week)
Application: 30th October 2020
Report Directly to the Director.
- Work in close collaboration with other staff, CoRMSA network members and partners to advocate on matters of Social Justice as they impact on social services, basic human rights and respect to human dignity relating to non-nationals (asylum seekers, refugees and migrants).
- Develop and use innovative tools and promotional material for effective knowledge sharing, lobbying, campaigning, networking and resource mobilisation;
- Write and edit copy for communication products, including media statements, op-eds, mailers, and other products for a variety of audiences;
- Contribute to media monitoring, analyse media coverage and identify media opportunities related CoRMSA’s work;
- Develop and implement a Social Media Strategy including implementation of media strategies, tactics and messages, the production of communication products, [newsletters, and brochures].
- Taking minutes that accurately reflect the decisions and discussion that took place during CoRMSA members meeting; workshops, dialogues, staff meetings, forums and networks gatherings etc;
- Writing up these minutes in an agreed format (whether electronically or in hard copy) so that information can be easily discerned and communications are clear.
- Distributing the minutes to the members timeously.
- Ensuring that a copy is filed appropriately.
- Represent CoRMSA in various forums and produce meeting reports thereof;
- Build strategic relationships with relevant government departments and other institutions working with non-nationals in general and on access to social services in particular while identifying advocacy opportunities and strategies for engaging;
- Ensures that CoRMSA norms and code of conducts are maintained all the times;
- Media Communications on issues related to specific populations known as CoRMSA beneficiaries (asylum seekers, refugees and migrants);
- Assist CoRMSA staff in drafting identifying and drafting of Funding Proposals for CoRMSA;
- Perform any other operational duties as per the Director directive that will benefit CoRMSA.
- Management of Members through regular communication and management of the CORMSA membership Data base and related social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma/higher certificate with major subjects in either communication, public relations, journalism, media, a related field or related work experience;
- Diverse experience working on migration and social services related issues including education, social security, labour, documentations, health as they relate to refugees and migrants and understanding of asylum seeker, refugee and immigration laws is a prerequisite;
- Job related knowledge required for this position includes public relations/media, branding and marketing, social/digital media, WordPress, publishing (print and electronic), production, and impact monitoring;
- Willingness to work after hours and on weekends when required;
- Knowledge of any African language or French language will be an advantage;
- Valid Drivers’ license is essential
- Travelling out of the Gauteng province, regionally and internationally is a must.
Application can be sent to:
Ms Gloria Makxeta – Finance and Admin Officer
Email: [email protected] or Fax: + 27 11 403 7559. Tel: 011 403 7560.
NB! Please, take note that if you do not hear from us within two weeks of the application closing date, consider your application unsuccessful. Application closes on 30th October 2020 at 4pm.