The Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides protection and assistance to people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. Our institution employs more than 20,000 people and is present in 80 countries.
The ICRC Regional Delegation in Pretoria is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following vacancy :
Job Title: Communication Manager
Location: South Africa
The Communication Manager is the focal point for all matters related to communication in the ICRC Pretoria Regional Delegation which carries out humanitarian activities in 10 countries across southern Africa. S/he is responsible for setting and implementing priorities, objectives and strategies for the Pretoria Regional Delegation. S/he directs the orientation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the delegation’s communication and, where applicable, and supervises and provides technical support to all staff involved in them. S/he contributes to building and implementing an approach in which communication integrated into other ICRC programmes (e.g. protection, assistance, cooperation).
Description of the role
The incumbent performs the following activities within the department:
- Sets the strategic orientation of the delegation’s communication in cooperation with management, field offices and other departments (annual planning process/Planning for Results). With support from the corresponding teams at headquarters and regional specialists, formulates related guidelines, approaches and programmes.
- Oversees implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes related to communication including: advocacy; community engagement; building National Red Cross/Red Crescent Society communication and law promotion capacity; joint International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement communication; public communication; digital communication; information analysis/environment scanning.
- Defines, in consultation with the delegation management team, the delegation’s overall desired identity and key messages.
- As media spokesperson for the Regional Delegation, leads reputation management and crisis communications preparedness and response for the Regional Delegation in collaboration with the Management as well as the Regional Media Relations Delegate.
- Develops networks relevant to specific humanitarian concerns, acceptance of the ICRC’s mission, strategic objectives and activities and improving its access to people in need. Supports development of the delegation’s broader network of contacts in line with anchoring and operational objectives.
- Supports line managers for communication staff by providing on the job coaching, identification of training needs and enabling assessment of capabilities through performance management and development activities.
- Supports communication-related training and coaching for staff of other departments and field sub-structures when needed.
Profile – Minimum required qualification & experience:
- University degree or equivalent (preferably master’s level) in a relevant field as strategic communications, political science, or journalism or marketing
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant work experience including at least 5 years of leading and managing communication teams.
- Proven people management, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong analytical, writing and editing skills.
- Proven experience as a media spokesperson and communication manager.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding strategic communications, media, AV production and digital communication issues and trends.
- Dynamic, self-starter with a strong interest and commitment to humanitarian action.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Other language skills relevant to area of responsibility in southern Africa an asset.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software)
We are looking for someone who is methodical, precise, responsible, rigorous, organized, with good organizational skills, with a good sense of teamwork, initiative and respect for ICRC values.
We offer interesting, rewarding work in a humanitarian and international environment.
Please submit your application: CV, cover letter, coopies of diplomas / certificates by electronic mail with the mention in the subject « application for Communication Manager PRE_HR_Services@icrc.org
Application Deadline: Sunday, 3 May, 2020