The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”.
Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) managing sub-subrecipients (SSRs) in Mbombela Subdistrict in Mpumalanga Province, Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts in the Free State Province and Fetakgomo-Greater Tubatse Subdistrict, in Limpopo Province from April 2019 – March 2022.
Job Title: Contracts and Grants Officer
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager, the Contracts and Grants Officer will provide efficient and reliable day-to-day contracts and grants management support to IHPS.
The incumbent shall be responsible for carrying out the day-to-day contracts, subgrants and grants management support including but not limited to:
1. Sub-Subrecipients (SSR) administration
- Maintain current grants and subawards/ sub-subrecipients’ (SSRs) files and keep them in a safe and secure space.
- Handle all IHPS correspondence with SSR agreements and act as the liaison between IHPS and SSRs.
- Prepare periodic updates on the SSRs for IHPS management meetings
- Support F&A manager to maintain an up-to-date and efficient grant and subaward management system for IHPS.
- Site visits to the SSRs for monitoring, compliance and capacity building.
2. Capacity building
- Orient relevant SSR staff on comprehensive SSR management as per donor requirements:
- Sound financial management starting with preparation of advance requests.
- Programmatic and financial reporting requirements
- Support SSRs to set up and maintain sound accounting, financial and programmatic reporting systems.
- Provide needs-based training, coaching, mentorship and supportive supervision, based on capacity gaps identified from the pre-award assessment and routine quality improvement (QI) assessments.
- Ensure SSRs are compliant to the reporting requirements as laid out in the SR agreements, as well as funder rules and regulations
- Promote maximum compliance with funder/ donor rules and regulations and reporting procedures.
- In collaboration with HR Practitioner, support SSRs to fully comply with South African labour laws including compliance with statutory requirement i.e. SARS payments, Companies Act, LRA, EEA, etc.
- Support SSRs to comply with funding agency HR requirements e.g. completion of timesheets, comprehensive leave management, etc.
- Support SSRs to prepare quality the quarterly expenditure reports (QERs)
- Support SSRs to develop comprehensive monthly/ quarterly programmatic progress (technical) reports and as per SSR agreement.
- Conducts quarterly subaward/ grants compliance visits to the SRs in order to review internal controls, inspect financial documents, and provide technical support, mentorship, coaching and supportive supervision to the relevant SR staff.
- Support SSRs to prepare monthly financial reporting tool
- Resolve ad hoc contracts and grants management queries; and escalate to F&A Manager as appropriate.
- Work closely with the relevant program and F&A staff to ensure IHPS has a robust subaward management system.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of IHPS organizational processes and systems.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the IHPS management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of other official languages would be an added advantage;
- Experience in contracts and grants management;
- Experience in managing and building capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) of subrecipients (SRs) or sub-subrecipients (SSRs);
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
- A team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills;
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree or Diploma in finance, accounting OR administration.
- At least 2 years’ experience in contracts and grants management.
- Demonstrated experience in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other donor grants management is desirable.
- Understanding of donor rules and regulations would be an added advantage.
Technical support visits to SSRs and to IHPS field offices are inherent to the position.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Thursday, 8 August, 2019