Posted on :
23 Mar, 2023
23 Mar, 2023
leading ISP / ICT / Telecoms compnay that is national with head office in JHB
Job Title: Research and Developement Engineer – ICT / Telecoms JHB
Duties & Responsibilities:
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Evaluation and testing of ICT-related hardware such as routers, switches, including software
enhancements, new firmware, and bug fixes to ensure they meet operational and requirements
specifications and quality standards.
• Innovation of new products, techniques, systems, or processes as may be required for service
• Developing innovative methods to increase the utility of existing products and processes.
• Working with suppliers to troubleshoot, log, manage and resolve issues.
• Effective documentation of findings, including accurately writing up findings.
• Creating documentation for new products. (User and Technical). All documentation to be ISO9001
• Planning and conducting Lab and field-testing to investigate, analyze and identify the root cause
and find solutions to complex problems.
• Developing specialist skills, building and maintaining in-depth technical knowledge on a range of
products, systems and technologies.
• Assisting with the integration of new products and systems with other operational and commercial
areas, including operations, installations, customer services, sales, legal and regulatory, marketing.
• Support the launch of new services by supporting Sales in a consultative role, high-level customer
queries, finding solutions to unique customer requirements and supporting customer
• Vendor Management. Regularly liaise with potential/new vendors to gather information about the
latest products and industry standards.
• Training of Technical, Support and Sales Staff on new products.
• Monthly Reporting for management purposes
Page 2 of 3
SKILLS, COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
Preferred Soft Skills
• Excellent technical, practical and leadership skills, supported by a sound academic background.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Able to communicate effectively with a wide
variety of individuals including customers, suppliers and other organizations.
• Ability to analyze and process data using a methodical approach.
• Good problem-solving skills, and the ability to find and employ creative solutions
• Ability to analyze complex issues, absorb information, understand data and identify trends.
• Adaptability and readiness to challenge existing practices and find alternatives.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with others with strong teamworking skills.
• Ability to understand, manage and document testing life cycle.
• The ability to cope with pressure, stress and ongoing change.
• Flexible and creative problem-solving ability.
• Strong Industry related knowledge and understanding.
• Attention to detail and ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
• Sense of urgency and Initiative.
Preferred Hard Skills
• Architectural Design, implementation, operations, and maintenance of telecommunications systems
such as VoIP platforms, PBXs, and Ethernet Networks.
• Knowledge on REST APIs and HTTP/S protocols
• Experience administering and supporting development, test, and production environments in a
virtualized architecture (VMWare ESXi, Proxmox, OVirt)
• Understanding of containerization such as Kubernetes or Docker
• Experience with networking security and applications from intrusion and denial of service attacks.
• Experience in using network diagnostic tools such as Wireshark.
• Experience in defining and creating operational processes in an ISO9001 / QMS environment.
• Good presentation and training skills.
• Understanding of concepts such as High availability, Load Balancing, Active/Active, Active/Passive
• IP Networks implemented using products from Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, Mikrotik, Fortinet.
• Telephony Soft Switches and rating/billing platforms such as PortaSwitch, Metaswitch, Broadsoft,
• A range of IP PBX and VoIP products from vendors such as 3CX, Grandstream, Alcatel Lucent,
Page 3 of 3
NET/Sonus, ACME/Oracle, Yealink, Sangoma, Polycom, Lifesize, Huawei, etc.
• VoIP and Video services over a range of last mile access technologies and services from a wide
range of South African connectivity providers such as Frogfoot, OpenServe, VumaTel, MetroFibre,
• Experience with various Database (MySQL, Postgres, etc.).
• Knowledge of VSAT/Satellite networks, platforms and technologies used iDirect, Hughes on Ku and
• Microwave wireless communications systems.
• Experience/Knowledge of Mobile Networking Standard (3G, LTE, 5G)
• Experience/Knowledge of Fibre networks and products.
• Consumer and Enterprise WiFi solutions.
• Experience in working with Linux Distributions (Debian, CentOS, BSD, etc)
• Experience in CPE device auto-provisioning via TR.069 or configuration file download over TFTP,
SFTP, HTTPS, SSH. (Mikrotik, Huawei, Cisco, Zyxel) and SIP phones (Gigaset, Polycom, Yealink,
• Experience in Compiling, Configuring, operating, and maintaining systems based a wide range opensource
projects such as Freeswitch, Asterisk, SIPP, Kamailio, OpenLDAP, FreeRADIUS, Django, etc.
• Strong Documentation skills
Desired Experience & Qualification:
QUAILIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Education and/or Experience
• IT/Engineering Degree: 3 Years’ experience in an Engineering or Development role within an ICT
• Diploma: At least 7 Years’ experience in an Engineering or Development role within an ICT
• No Qualification: At least 10 Years’ experience in an Engineering or Development role within an ICT
Key Skills: networking, telephony and software development, scripting and DevOps.
Package & Remuneration:
R65000 CTC Neg