Posted on :
13 Jun, 2016
13 Jun, 2016
No matter who you are, or where in the world you are, the chances are that our products are a familiar part of your daily routine. Look in your fridge, or on the bathroom shelf, and you’re bound to see one of our well-known brands. We create, market and distribute the products that people choose to feed their families and keep themselves and their homes clean and fresh.
Our brands are trusted everywhere and, by listening to the people who buy them, we’ve grown into one of the world’s most successful consumer goods companies. In fact, 150 million times a day, someone somewhere chooses a Unilever product. We have a vision of sustaible growth that aims to double the size of our business, whilst halving our environmental footprint and increasing our positive social impact. Our Unilever’s Sustainable Living Plan (USLP) commits to:
• Decoupling growth from environmental impact.
• Helping more than a billion people take action to improve their health and well-
• Enhancing the livelihoods of millions of people by 2020.
If you would like to learn more about Unilever – the no.1 Top Employer in South Africa – and our BrightFuture ambitions, take a look at this video for more info:
Position: Assistant Packaging Manager
Location : La Lucia Ridge
Function: Research and Development
This role is open to South African Citizens only.
Purpose of Role
The Assistant Packaging Manager is responsible to deliver the R&D packaging elements for the Africa Spreads & Dressings programme for a selection of innovation and non- innovation projects such as VIP’s and Supply chain support
1. Deliver all the Design and Deploy Packaging elements to agreed projects, on time in full, by following best practice in packaging project management in accordance with the One Unilever Packaging Process (1UPP)
Within this role the successful incumbent will:
– Work in multi-functional teams from different disciplines inside and outside R&D, such as Formulation, Processing, Marketing, CTI, Supply Chain, Procurement, and Finance.
– create, follow and deliver according to project networks
– Implement primary packaging designs delivered by global including Masterbatch development and create new designs for local jewels
– Conduct Laboratory testing according to set procedures. Report and present results/conclusions.
– Develop secondary packaging and pallet plans
– Support factory and transit trials
– Be first point of contact for selected suppliers on various aspects of project work e.g. approving samples, resolving issues.
– Deliver the content of technical specifications for secondary packaging components and pallet plans in SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle management)
– Lead the technical workstream as a TPL (technical project leader) for RnD in projects
2. Support technical programmes for alternative material sourcing, mould refurbishments, cost saving projects, simplification programme and quality issues
3. Responsible for own project portfolio management.
Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Packaging, or Engineering equivalent and minimum of 2-5 years’ with experience in the Food industry.
• Must have strong technical expertise and experience in mould qualifications of injection & blow moulding for rigid plastics and flexible film materials. Must be proficient in the conversion & decoration of bottles/jars/pails, films, cartons, pouches, labels and corrugated materials
• Must demonstrate a solid understanding of Food package development process and engineering principles along with understanding of how to design and develop primary and secondary packaging components that meet consumer, brand, customer, and manufacturing objectives.
• Familiarity with prototyping techniques
• Excellent English skills, both in speaking as well as in writing.
• Ability to work in multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams, with the drive and ability to control own work programme and make clear knowledge based recommendations.
• Ability to communicate effectively internally and externally; in particular the ability to communicate packaging information to non-packaging people;
• Ability to get messages across through modern media. (eg, telecon, skype)
• Flexibility in work style and being able to manage a portfolio of projects and tasks in parallel;
• Entrepreneurial Behaviour
• Goal Orientation
• Bias for Action
A certain amount of travelling within South Africa and Africa is necessary for the job (sourcing factories, material suppliers, etc).
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete an online assessment. Completion of the assessment is mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and assessment. If the assessment is filled out partially or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the assessment at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Closing Date : 23 June 2016