Posted on :
29 Sep, 2014
29 Sep, 2014
The Pretoria branch of the Transvaal University College (TUC) was the forerunner of the University of Pretoria. It commenced its activities in 1908 with a staff of four professors and three lecturers.
Thirty-two students enrolled for courses at the first campus, Kya Rosa, a house in the centre of the Pretoria. The University of Pretoria became a fully fledged university in 1930. The name Tuks, for the University of Pretoria, derives from the acronym for the College, namely TUC.
In the years preceding the South African War (1899-1902) there was much discussion in the Volksraad of the ZAR regarding the establishment of a university.
These plans were interrupted by the outbreak of the war. In 1902 the Normal College for the training of teachers was established in Pretoria and in 1904 the Transvaal Technical Institute opened in Johannesburg with an emphasis on mining education. Classes were also offered by the institute in Pretoria.
The University of Pretoria is the largest residential university in South Africa. It has more than 50 000 full-time and part-time students.
The university has a diverse student population which is representative of all South Africa’s cultural and racial backgrounds.
The undergraduate students comprise more than 70% of the total contact students. The University teaches in two languages (English and Afrikaans) and also uses Sepedi as a language of communication.
The University of Pretoria’s undergraduate academic programmes cover a wide spectrum of disciplines including Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as Natural Sciences, Engineering and Life Sciences.