THE DEPARTMENT OF PAEDIATRICS AND CHILD HEALTH, SCHOOL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE, FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCE
(5 years fixed term contract)
The Department of Paediatrics and child health invites suitably qualified joint staff interested in being part of a dynamic, growing academic department, to apply for the post of academic head of department. This post would be suitable for those with a commitment to academic excellence and educational leadership in a multi-disciplinary environment, exceptional interpersonal skills, capacity for innovative and original thinking, ability to exercise a high degree of personal initiative in organising his/her own responsibilities and a commitment to working to deadlines calmly and efficiently.
- A medical qualification appropriate for a professorial appointment,
- Research experience and possession of a PhD would be advantageous but are not essential,
- The applicant must have demonstrated well developed proven communication, organizational, problem solving, leadership and project management skills. Must have the ability to manage change in the department,
- The candidate must be a fulltime employee within Wits Teaching platform (Joint staff).
- Strengthen undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research.
- Monitor and report on the adequacy and appropriate standard of teaching.
- Monitor and report on the adequacy and appropriate standard of research throughput
- Promote staff development and manage staff performance and assessment within the department.
- Provide support to the Divisions that are part of the academic Department of Paediatrics
- Work with Divisional heads to ensure sound financial and personnel management
- Encourage collaboration between departments working across the teaching platforms
- Set norms and standards for the maintenance of service delivery and quality outputs in the department.
- Further the mission and vision of the School of Clinical Medicine and the Department of Paediatrics and child health.
The awarding of the title Professor/Associate Professor/Adjunct Professor will depend on the successful candidates qualifications, research and other academic criteria as determined by the faculty guidelines.