ActionAid is an international anti-poverty agency formed in 1972. We are a partnership between people in poor and rich countries working together to end poverty and injustice. Today we are working with over 15 million of the world’s poorest and excluded people in over 45 countries worldwide to secure their rights to a life free of poverty and injustice, and with the support of half a million donors and supporters.
Job Title: Internal Auditor Lead (Grade E)
Job Location: Nairobi Hub/Johannesburg/London
Directorate/Cluster: Finance & Operations
Duration: Open Ended
The Internal Auditor Lead is responsible for AAI’s strategic risk-based internal audit plan and managing the internal audit function. Reporting primarily to the Director of Finance and Operations and directly to the International Board through the convener of the Risk & Internal Audit Committee on risk issues, the successful candidate will provide reasonable assurance on the effectiveness of the organization’s risk management and the strength of internal controls. The position assesses organization-wide compliance with AAI’s internal policies and procedures, laws and regulations and reports on the use of resources. The successful candidate will be expected to produce regular reports summarising key audit issues and report on any fraud and irregularities. Sh/e may conduct special investigations when requested to do so. We are currently looking for a talented person, an enthusiastic and well-experienced candidate dedicated to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation’s operation.
1. Internal audit operating plan and implementation
- To produce and manage annual plans for proposed audit visits and to ensure that Terms of Reference for these visits are agreed with management and meet AAI’s standards.
- Identify potential risk areas in the course of audits and investigations and ensure processes have been designed well enough to enable managers to manage the risks that they are responsible for in an effective way.
- Ensure controls are properly designed, implemented and operationally effective to mitigate those risks.
2. Improved standards of financial control
- To liaise with senior management in the organization to ensure issues of corporate concern are identified and form part of management’s action plans.
- To provide advice to the International finance community, working with the Finance and Operations Director in the development of new/updated international financial policies and procedures for the organization.
3. Global Internal Audit Activity
- To support the internal audit function in Country Programmes & Members where required (in discussion with senior management of Members and AAI).
- To develop and disseminate materials and training which will benefit AAI’s internal audit community
- Ensure legislative or regulatory issues affecting AAH-I are recognized and addressed appropriately.
- Employee’s actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
4. Liaise with the external auditors
- To develop an appropriate working relationship with the external auditors.
- To follow up recommendations from the statutory audit process.
5. Report and Communicate Audit Findings
- Prepare reports including executive summary, details of findings and recommendations on each assignment.
- A summary of audit findings will be shared with management upon completion of the audit exercise.
- Communicate orally and in writing audit results to management and making presentations.
- Coordinate project audits carried out by external audit firm and monitor the status of implementation of audit recommendations and assess whether appropriate actions were taken close audit recommendations;
Education, Language & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business related field.
- Professional certification – CPA or ACCA, CFE, CIA and/ or CISA;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with internal or external audit experience
Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience of managing qualified staff in multiple locations.
- Experience of directly managing Board Committees
- Experience of producing a multi-entity and complex risk-register
- A proven ability to manage complex organisational change through to conclusion
- Experience with the regulatory environment for INGOs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to undertake significant travel.
Interested candidates should email their application letter and CV to to [email protected]. Due to high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within one month of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Application Deadline: Friday, 28 June, 2019