CapeTownMagazine.com is looking for a hardworking and go-getting intern to join its content team. We’re looking for a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed writer/journalist with a spirit of discovery. Who will help craft articles, collate overviews, dabble in social media and lend a logistical hand around the office (note: the only coffee you’ll be fetching will be your own, so don’t worry about that).
The editorial intern will contribute to all our content sections from events, to overviews and features. They will conduct research, do interviews and learn about social media.
The intern will need to work quickly and well under pressure and will need to be gifted with words and be a go-getter.
There’s an opportunity to shoulder some serious responsibility here and to gain some valuable insight into the world of online publishing. Plus, there’s also a chance that the internship could evolve into a permanent position should you prove yourself an invaluable addition to the team.
- Write events
- Update “7 Things to do in Cape Town this Weekend”
- Fact-check and update overviews and put together new overviews
- Write feature covering all over sections
- Source photos and videos and edit pics using Adobe Photoshop
- Incorporate SEO best practice into the articles
- Upload content on the CMS
- Write social media posts from time to time
- Partake in monthly content planning meetings and pitch ideas for future stories
- Upload articles and pictures onto a CMS system
- Help with compiling the weekly newsletter
- Conduct interviews, research and collect accurate information for overviews and features
- Make a concerted effort to meet all deadlines
- Strong writing ability with a good grasp of grammar and spelling (this will be tested)
- A degree/diploma in Journalism/English/Media Studies (advantageous but not essential)
- Accustomed to a fast-paced environment
- A positive can-do attitude
- A hard-core work ethic and a serious interest in getting the most of this experience
- Understanding of SEO (advantageous but not essential)
- Experience using CMS (advantageous but not essential)
- Social media experience
- An aptitude to understand different processes
- A structured multi-tasker
- Knowledge of Photoshop (advantageous but not essential)
- Sound research skills
- Knowledge of Hootsuite
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Own transport and driver’s license
- The solid worker that can handle pressure and create good content quickly.
- A person that loves to be in the know about all things in Cape Town and the Western Cape
- Positive attitude
- A key interest in SEO and online media channels
If interested, send your CV, a short letter of motivation and two writing samples to Justin Williams at [email protected]. Please use ‘Application for 2018 Editorial Internship’ as your email subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a writing test.
Please note that if you have not heard from us within a month of sending your CV you should regard your application as unsuccessful.