About the job:
Material Sciences and Manufacturing (MSM) – a unit of the CSIR which is focused on using innovative technologies to develop better products and processes for industry– has an Internship opportunity for a dynamic and self-motivated Intern on a 12-month contract basis.
The incumbent’s role will be to increase the profile of MSM and the CSIR by providing holistic, comprehensive communications support to the unit’s Communications Manager. This includes developing and appropriately packaging written content concerning the organisation’s work for dissemination through various media platforms. This will include:
- Sourcing, developing and appropriately packaging content in order to effectively communicate the CSIR’s scientific achievements, research projects, outputs and outcomes, science, engineering and technology (SET) base profiles, social impact or creation of commercial value for dissemination through various channels platforms and the media. This will include active participation in all layers of the process which includes:
- Conceptualisation: The sourcing, researching, formulating, brainstorming and pitching content matter, as well as planning the execution;
- Copy writing: Producing quality copy in short and long formats for various materials and channels – this includes (but is not limited to) press releases, web and Intraweb stories, brochures, presentations, advertisements and video; and
- Supplier liaison: under the supervision of the communications manager, negotiate, plan and liaise with suppliers and service providers to produce final products.
- Offering comprehensive operational support in terms of administrative duties for the communications department within the unit.
- Assisting in the planning and execution of unit events, such as stakeholder visits, conferences, staff social events, etc.
- Serving as entry point for enquiries relating to the project.
- Participating in meetings to keep abreast of latest developments, recording of these sessions, communicating outcomes, setting up sessions, including some degree of community liaison.
- Contributing to the building of a positive image of the CSIR and its research impact area (RIA) activities and that of its stakeholders.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or relevant related field.
- Proven ability to extract information from an interview or document, write in popularised style and deliver a high standard of written work.
- Experience of and proven ability to work in a team.
- Knowledge of social media, and specifically wireless technologies, will be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel to sites where the project team is working.
Closing date: 19 July 2013
How to Apply
Click on this link to apply online