Democracy Works Foundation (DWF) analyses the health of democracy and implements innovative interventions and technologies in order to foster inclusive development through a deepening of democratic culture and capacity whilst ensuring sustainability and independence of its operations.
Job Title: Executive Assistant
Job Location: Johannesburg
Start date: 01 December 2018, or as soon as possible
Duration: This is a fixed term contract until the end of September 2021
The purpose of the Executive Assistant is to provide professional, efficient and timeous support and administrative assistance to the Executive Director (ED), Executive Chair (EC) and Board of Directors (BoD) in close collaboration with senior management and staff. The Executive Assistant will also be responsible for a variety of governance support functions for all the DWF Board of Directors in South Africa and country offices.
Support to the Executive Director:
- Maintain the Executive Director’s and Executive Chair’s appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel
- Manage regional compliance and ensure regular communication and engagement between regional offices and HQ
Support to Senior Management Team (SMT):
- Coordinate, communicating and keeping records of all SMT meetings
- Keep track of grant opportunities on behalf of the business development committee
- Provide secretarial services to the Board including collating meeting documents and taking minutes of Board meetings
- Manage and coordinate travel and logistic arrangements Board Members
- Compile and manage of company files (articles of incorporation, regulations, minutes, monthly reports and annual report, etc.)
General administration and Finance:
- Provide backup Reception support, including meeting and greeting visitors
- Prepare paperwork (incl. purchase requests, payment requests etc) in line with procurement standards
- Ensure that procurement and financial policies, procedures and systems are adhered to
- Assist colleagues whenever necessary
- A Diploma in business administration or similar
- Minimum five years’ experience working with Executive Directors / CEO as Executive Assistant or PA
- Proven experience in working on, and/ or supporting governance issues: working with Board of Directors, Trustees and governance structures in an NGO environment
- Knowledge of corporate governance and compliance, particularly for NGOs
- Communication skills including verbal and written English
- Proven experience of administration, time-management, and organisational skills
- Superior attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Understanding of financial systems and controls and ability to apply to own work and circumstances
- Ability to work on own initiative, manage own time, work to deadlines and manage conflicting priorities without supervision and upward referral
- Ability to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally, and at many levels, with credibility, tact and diplomacy
- Takes a proactive approach to problem solving and work prioritisation
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in all aspects of working
- Is a positive and supportive team member, is adaptable with ability to work and relate to people of diverse backgrounds and is highly personable
- Takes responsibility and initiative for finding out things and expanding own knowledge; understands own contribution to the whole
- Recognises responsibility to help others do their job effectively
- Possess a flexible approach to working hours
- Must be in possession of a driver’s license valid for South Africa
- An understanding of and affinity with DWF’s vision, mission and values
- Sensitivity towards gender, sexual, ethnic/race, cultural identities
- Ability to involve other people, harness and build on their ideas
- Demonstrate commitment to team work with a high degree of integrity, dependability and confidentiality
- A legal background would be desirable
To apply, submit a one-page motivation letter and an updated CV with contact details (phone number and email address) of at least three referees to [email protected]
Preferred candidate must be a South African citizen or permanent resident.
The working language of the Southern Africa office is English.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
DWF will confirm an appointment for this position subject to the availability of funds.
Democracy Works seeks to ensure that all qualified people have an equal opportunity to obtain a position and that those who have been discriminated against unfairly in the past are treated in accordance with the legal obligations imposed by the country in which employment is taking place as well as the affirmative principles of the organisation.
Due to the short timeline for this requirement DWF will review applications throughout the advertising period and will only consider applications submitted before the stipulated close date.
Application Deadline: 27th October, 2018