Posted on :
3 Nov, 2021
3 Nov, 2021
Digital Earth Africa aims to improve the lives of people across the African continent by translating Earth observations into insights that will support sustainable development. Our platform and services enable African governments, industry and decision makers to track changes across the continent in unprecedented detail. This provides valuable insights for better decision making across many areas, including flooding, drought, soil and coastal erosion, agriculture, forest cover, land use and land cover change, water availability and quality, and changes to human settlements. We are built on partnerships with African governance and in-country expertise to create sustained capability development in Africa.
Digital Earth Africa is working with the African and international community to ensure that Earth observation data is analysis ready, rapidly available and readily accessible to meet the needs of our users. More information about the organization can be found at https://www.digitalearthafrica.org
Digital Earth Africa has partnered with South African National Space Agency to establish a Program Management Office situated in South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria. The following opportunity exists within the Program Management Office to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications.
Job Title: DE Africa: Communications Lead
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reference #: CL01
Contract Type: Contract
Salary: Market Related
Appointments to the DE Africa Program Management Office will be on a short to medium term contractual basis subject to renewal based on performance and budget availability.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, the Communications Lead will be responsible
● Applying a creative, innovative, and professional approach to communication for this new and high-profile program, and developing frameworks and strategies that contribute to the broader DE Africa engagement activities;
● Managing the communication requirements for DE Africa through a strategic, culturally aware, and stakeholder-centric approach, focusing on the end-user and the industries or portfolios they represent. This will include communication
activities that increase the profile of DE Africa, engage government and industry sectors, support partners and articulate the benefits of the program across Africa and internationally;
● Delivering communication activities and products for DE Africa, the Communications Lead will work across international boundaries, alongside a diverse range of professionals including; policy officers, strategists and advisers, event coordinators, media officers, online and multimedia specialists, scientists, executives, ICT professionals, and communication counterparts in Africa; and
● Maintaining the integrity of the DE Africa brand in all communications, including the visual identity and adherence to program vision and mission
● Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism or communications;
● Science communication or involvement in Science advancement will be an advantage;
● 8 Years’ experience as a Corporate Communications Manager or equivalent in a similar industry;
● Proficiency in English, French and at least three (3) more additional African languages, both spoken and written;
● Knowledge of technical content management;
● Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral and written communications;
● Stakeholder engagement skills in order to determine the most effective proposals and presentation materials, persuade DE Africa personnel to accept suggestions and proposals, and to foster effective relationships;
● Ability to brief and effectively manage design projects;
● Professional level skills in developing communication materials and managing a range of channels including digital communications and social media. Writing and editing experience required;
● Skill in writing and editing news and feature articles for a variety of audiences;
● Ability to write/edit in a variety of writing styles, ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics;
● The ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into language easily comprehensible to non-specialists with French and English language competency an advantage;
● Demonstrated success in communicating with influence to a range of high-level stakeholders across a variety of specialist fields, including in complex environments calling for judgement, intuition and nuance in messaging to different audiences;
● Interpersonal skills to facilitate work with a wide range of individuals and groups from culturally diverse backgrounds;
● Experience in conducting research projects and documenting findings;
● Skills in interviewing a variety of people and gathering and synthesizing information from many sources;
● Ability to coordinate/ support events for DE Africa; and
● Measurement and evaluation skills to continuously improve communication for the program.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications, experience and skills.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
DE Africa reserves the right to not make an appointment.
DE Africa subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities . Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Application Deadline: 17/11/2021