The Health Systems Trust (HST) is a nonprofit organisation that strives to build comprehensive, effective, efficient and equitable national health systems by supporting the implementation of functional health districts in South Africa and in the Southern African region.
Job Title: Provincial Technical Advisor
Job Location: Department of Health in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal.
A salary package commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications and in line with HST’s Job Grading System will be offered.
This is a fixed-term contract position, renewable based on funding.
The purpose of the Provincial Technical Advisor is to develop integrated public health policies, norms and standards to enable the Department of Health to effectively and efficiently manage HIV, AIDS, STDs, TB and related diseases.
- Analyse national policy imperatives and other baseline information regarding the management of various programmes with a view to determining departmental policy gaps and develop an integrated policy framework that includes treatment protocols and guidelines
- Enable the Department of Health to effectively and efficiently manage HIV, AIDS, STIs and TB through the primary health care approach (referral arrangement, quality assurance, norms and standards, and monitoring arrangements)
- Ensure prescribed clinical protocols promote a holistic and integrated approach in the management of HAST, TB, HCT, PMTCT, ART and VMMC through the co-opting of specialists from all relevant healthcare disciplines
- Provide technical advice to the principal on policy matters and develop innovative policy solutions related to the area of operation, especially in testing, treatment and support for children
- Ensure proper linkages of clients from the HTC programme to wellness/PRE-ART, ART, and care and support programmes, by establishing and/or improving the system of linkages to ensure that all clients are successfully traced
- Ensure proper linkage facilitation of the establishment of chronic health clubs, and fast queues in all districts for the purpose of decongesting health facilities to ensure that communities are within reach of the health services
- Ensure staff members are well prepared to face the clients/patients by establishing innovative ways of supporting the HTS tester and counsellor through facilitating debriefing sessions in all districts
- Represent the Department of Health in provincial and national technical working groups
- Responsible for the development of a comprehensive response to HAST, TB, HCT, PMTCT, ART and VMMC
- Provide technical input for national policy design through the development of well-defined departmental mandates, enabling the principals to efficiently and effectively participate in the operation of the National and Provincial Health Councils
- Liaise with research institutes with a view to influencing research programmes being conducted in support of departmental initiatives to decrease the prevalence of HIV and AIDS, STIs and TB
- Monitor delivery of PRE-ART adherence and care and support programmes throughout the province and ensure goals and objectives of the 90-90-90 Strategy are being achieved
- Compile and submit all relevant provincial and district reports
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Social sciences or a related field
- Minimum of three years’ junior management experience in the health sector with successful programme management in community-based projects
- Minimum of five to 10 years’ experience in the field of HIV and AIDS programmes, public health and/or the NGO sector, ideally in the area of care and support in South Africa
- Valid driver’s licence (Code 8)
- Ability to travel within South Africa
- Knowledge of policy formulation, development analysis and interpretation
- Knowledge of ART roll-out, health systems (HIV counselling, testing and staging, screening of opportunistic infections, ART dispensing, as well as palliative care modalities).
- Clinical knowledge and experience regarding the management of the disease within the health service context
- Knowledge of National Department of Health and Department of Social Development policies and procedures
- Knowledge of internal quality controls and accreditation arrangements
- Knowledge and skills in antiretroviral treatment, including care and support and adherence programmes, especially the 90-90-90 Strategy
- Knowledge of HIV testing services and HIV counselling programmes
- Ability to identify determinants of the disease falling outside the functional domain of the department and effectively empower the principal to leverage corrective action by relevant institutions
- Project management, negotiation, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Computer literacy: Microsoft software applications
- Communication skills
- Facilitation skills
- Work ethic and ability to prioritise and multi-task
To apply, submit a detailed CV stating the position applied for (including district preference), together with names and contact details (telephone numbers and an e-mail address) of at least three contactable referees, to Sanele Ngubane at [email protected]
Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit certified copies of all qualifications and identity documents.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Email users are requested to set the delivery option of their message on both ‘Return Receipt’ and ‘Confirm Delivery’.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to reference and credential checks.
If you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
HST reserves the right to not fill this position.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Health systems Trust Promotes Employment Equity.
Application Deadline: 6th November, 2018