mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities.
Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits.
m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Job Title: Business Development Senior Associate (Maternity Cover)
Location: South Africa
The role’s primary purpose is to manage proposal development efforts across the organization to ensure the successful completion and responsiveness of m2m’s solicited and unsolicited competitive proposals. The role works in partnership with Country Directors, Department of Programmes and Technical Support, International Operations, and Finance facilitating the Go-No-Go process and the broader proposal development process. This role juggles complex scenarios under high pressure and tight deadlines, as they are accountable for the ultimate completion, compliance, and submission of proposals. This role supports the identification and tracking of longer term strategic opportunities, supports competitive analyses, and is responsible for the internal flow, review, and quality of all proposal inputs. Leading a process that involves senior members of m2m staff, this role manages schedules to ensure the timely completion of all proposal components, anticipates challenges and troubleshoots in advance, coordinates activities with cross functional business areas, performs as lead writer on various sections of the proposal, and submits final proposals. This role works across all implementation countries, the US office, the EU office, and with new country initiatives. In addition, this role leads limited grant reporting efforts for core awards assigned to the department. The position will report to the Senior Business Development Manager and will be based in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas:
- Leads proposal process with Country Directors and senior m2m staff (US, UK, HQ) to deliver compliant, competitive proposals to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process from capture through development and submission in close collaboration with proposal design leads and proposal teams.
- Manages every aspect of the proposal development process, including ensuring the use of business development systems, processes and best practices to develop the most responsive and competitive proposals.
- Responsible for the successful submission of the proposal.
- Works on multiple proposals at varying stages of development simultaneously and largely independently.
- Creates the proposal calendar, tracks technical and cost proposal progress to ensure milestones are met, and ensures that every member of the proposal team, including sub- and prime partners, knows what is expected of him/her and when tasks are due.
- Facilitate technical strategy development of senior level technical and country senior staff, including development of log frames and results frameworks.
- Participate in, and/or lead, proposal writing as needed.
- Provides detailed and strategic analyses of solicitations, develops requirements list and submission information according to solicitation instructions.
- Distributes essential material and updates to the proposal team (Country Directors, Director of DPTS, BFAS managers, International Operations, etc.) and sends follow-up emails to the team with the details of the proposal and timeline for completion.
- Contributes to partnering decisions/negotiations; assists in securing resources, such as external consultants and writers.
- Coordinates with in country and HQ Finance teams to develop best-value cost strategies and ensure a unified strategy in both technical and cost proposals.
- Oversees the collection of all required proposal forms, materials, etc. as stipulated in the funders’ requests for proposals (solicited and unsolicited concept papers/LOIs, full proposals, etc.).
- Quality-controls proposal components to ensure compliance with donor requirements and m2m standards and competitiveness prior to submission.
- Assembles and submits complete proposals, including technical and cost elements.
- Leads and contributes to organizational learning, through analysis of proposal successes and failures, analysis of m2m competitiveness and the funding environment, and active participation in shared learning across all entities and country offices;
- Ensures relevant tracking systems and proposal files are kept up-to-date, including salesforce.
- Role as BD Desk Officer for assigned countries – being the “go to” person for that country’s BD information and provide tailored and informed direct support to assigned Country Teams.
- Lead grant reporting for select core awards.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues across multiple departments to facilitate collaborative proposal development and to continually improve proposal and business development processes.
- Develops, utilizes and continually refines tools, templates and work processes that result in streamlined and efficient proposal teamwork.
- Leads post-proposal submission after action reviews, debriefs and follow-up activities.
- Assists in maintaining relationships with sponsors, relevant government agencies, universities, multinational, and other non-governmental organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in public health, international relations, development, or a related field;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience in the international development/public health field focused on resource mobilization;
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and writing proposals; and
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Prior success coordinating proposals for foundations and institutional donors;
- Good and proven ability to work efficiently in teams under tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Provides resolution to an assortment of problems of differing and complex scope;
- Ability to research and examines data to grasp issues, draw conclusions, and solve problems;
- Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks;
- Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks;
- Strong inter-personal ability;
- Proven ability to convey complex ideas effectively and in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences;
- Good organization and research skills;
- Ability to successfully work across departments and countries under an international NGO structure;
- The proven ability to multi-tasking and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary; and
- Passionate about the region with a deep knowledge of m2m’s mission, messages, and key funding priorities.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/
Application Deadline: 11 December 2020.