Posted on :
23 Jun, 2010
23 Jun, 2010
MTN Group Limited (MTN Group) is a leading provider of communication services, offering cellular network access and business solutions. The MTN Group is listed in South Africa on the JSE under the Industrial – Telecommunications sector. MTN South Africa recruits Senior Manager (Tax Accountant)
Location of position
To ensure accurate and timeous calculation of monthly current and deferred tax figures for MTN Group companies, as well as monthly operating company and consolidated Group and sub Groups tax rate reconciliation. Act as Group Tax Risk Facilitator and Project manage ad hoc projects.
• Design and develop a tax reporting system across for MTN Group
• Design and develop tax processes to be implemented across MTN Group
• Review tax accruals and rate recons at all operational companies and different
consolidation levels monthly.
• Compute MTN Group rate recon monthly
• Assist Consolidation team with MTN Group taxation expense presentation on
• Analyze key reconciling items on rate recons and provide reasons for variances.
• Compiling Audit Committee tax report and other reports that may be required
for tax risks – e.g. BRM.
• Ensure adequate provision is made on the AFS for any probable risk identified
on the Audit Committee pack.
• Be custodian for any tax accounting issues affecting the Group.
• Act as a Group Tax Risk facilitator.
• ensure that all tax risks across the 21 Opcos are known and mitigations plans
• Interact with the Operational Companies regarding their TRM programs and
ensuring that they report tax risk appropriately at all levels.
• Liaise with MTN Group external tax auditors and any other professional service
• Ensuring maximum usage of Hyperion to calculate deferred tax and deferred
tax proof for the MTN Group companies.
• Ensure adherence to Group Policy in so far as it relate to tax accounting.
• Manage ad hoc tax projects as directed by Group Executives from time to time.
• Dependant on support of divisional management, and submission of accurate,
timeous and relevant financial information from all operational unit financial
• CA (SA),
• BCom(Hons)/CTA with Articles at a top 5 audit firm will also be considered.
• At least 4 years accounting and tax experience post-qualification
• Detailed knowledge of Income Tax and IFRS especially IAS 12
• Telecomms markets understanding and knowledge
• Working knowledge of accounting consolidation adjustments.
Skills / physical competencies:
• High level of computer literacy, including spreadsheet and data analysis on
• Strong presentation and communication skills, both oral and written
• Negotiation at all levels
• Strong inter personal skills
• Corpsmart and Hyperion experience•
• High tolerance towards uncertainty and ambiguity
• Dedication to get the job done
• Improvise in unknown situations
• High level of integrity
• High tolerance to diverse cultures and changing situations
• Output and achieving successes orientated
• Self starter
• Independent decision maker
Reference No: MM014
Position Type: Permanent
Affirmative Action: Yes
Additional: • Should hold a valid driver’s licence (code 08) and have own transport.
• Should hold valid passport and keep up-to-date with vaccination requirements
• Will be required to travel to other MTN offices, both in SA and across Africa.
Applications close 24 Jun 2010.