Ndifuna Ukwazi is a nonprofit activist organisation and law centre that combines research, political organising and litigation in campaigns to advance urban land justice in Cape Town with a primary mission is to expand and protect access to affordable housing & build an inclusive city.
Job Title: Head of Strategic Communications and Operations
Job Location: Cape Town
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: A salary commensurate with experience and with Ndifuna Ukwazi’s designated salary bands will be offered
The purpose of the position is to ensure that the organisation operates in an effective and efficient manner with a focus on assisting the Director with writing fundraising proposals and reports, and all forms of written public communication.
- Work with the Director by writing fundraising proposals and reports, building and managing relationships with local and international funders and ensuring that grants are monitored
- Work with the Director and the Board of Ndifuna Ukwazi to ensure healthy financial management of the organisation
- Write and edit compelling copy for press statements, advocacy letters and other forms of digital and print communication
- Support the development and implementation of NU’s strategic vision and assist NU’s management to plan, implement and monitor an effective organisational strategy that brings together litigation, organising, research and media strategies
- Assist with human resource management, including recruiting and managing staff
- Assist the Director and management team with administrative tasks as they arise
- Implement office policies and develop relevant policies as required
- An undergraduate university degree
- Minimum of three to four years’ working experience
- A postgraduate degree and/or experience in a related field is desirable
- Experience relating to financial management and oversight of projects
- Writing skills (in a variety of styles)
- Understands the constraints of working for a nonprofit organisation and can be resourceful within these constraints and can budget and manage expenditure in a prudent and accountable manner
- Interpersonal skills, including an ability to easily relate to, and work with people across race, class, gender and age
- Experience in human resource management
- Proven ability to work well under pressure, independently and as part of a team
- An ability to switch effortlessly between immediate priorities and medium-term and long term strategic goals
- An ability to plan and monitor the implementation of NU’s work, and manage complex and competing tasks and priorities
- Capable of working systematically and is organised, accountable, and has an eye for detail
- A self-motivated, productive, energetic and creative strategic thinker
- Experience demonstrating a political consciousness and a commitment to advancing constitutional rights, social justice and equality
- Fluency in at least two of Cape Town’s three main languages is advantageous (English, IsiXhosa and Afrikaans)
To apply, submit your application to empl[email protected] with the subject “Head of Strategic Communications and Operations”
Include the following in your application:
- A brief CV (including two contactable referees)
- A letter of motivation
- A sample of written work
Ndifuna Ukwazi is committed to transformation and equity in its recruitment processes.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Application Deadline: 5th November, 2018