Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. The organisaiton uses research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Job Title: Researcher
Job Location: Salt River, Cape Town
Start date: 1 August 2018
Duration: Initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal)
The researcher will focus on advocacy and investigations.
- Undertake detailed, evidence-based investigations into economic crime in Southern Africa that have resulted in human rights violations
- Produce reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms
- Work closely with partners in civil society
- Assist in managing Open Secrets social media platforms and communications
- Assist in conceptualising and organsing events
- Strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who consistently values collaboration
- Experience within a social justice organisation in the nonprofit sector
- Studies in a related field such as law, politics, history, economics preferable
- A relevant postgraduate degree would be preferred
- Demonstrated work experience of at least two to three years
- Strong research and writing skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.) and social media savvy
To apply, submit a CV, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least two referees to [email protected]
Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
Application Deadline: 5th July, 2018