Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists? Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and its impact on human rights. We use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold private corporations and individuals who commit these human rights violations, to account.
See more at: www.opensecrets.org.za | Twitter: @OpenSecretsZA | LinkedIn: Open Secrets ZA
Job Title: Intern – Investigations & Advocacy
Location: Cape Town
Contract Period: Starting November 2020 for a six-month contract period based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Remuneration: R10,000.00 per month.
- Undertake research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa. Read, summarise and archive research material.
- Write reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms.
- Assist in managing advocacy around Open Secrets’ investigations and litigation, including producing content for Open Secrets’ social media platforms and website.
- Collaborate with our partners in civil society.
- Contribute to other Open Secrets work areas as needed.
- Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful and able to manage deadlines), integrity and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration.
- Ongoing or completed postgraduate studies in a related field (politics, history, economics, journalism, etc.) are preferable.
- Strong research, writing and organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Able to work through an intersectional lens.
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible to work in South Africa.
The Open Secrets team is working remotely until the end of 2020. However, this position of investigations and advocacy intern is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
- Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work, and contact details of at least three referees, by 5pm on 12 October 2020.
- The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
- Please send your application to: [email protected]
- Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.