CHILD SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT: Save the Children South Africa has a zero tolerance towards the abuse and exploitation of children by any of our representatives, and we are equally committed to doing everything within our power to avoid unintended harm or accidents to children as a result of any of our activities.
Child Protection Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Job Title: Head of Partnerships
Occupational Level: Senior Manager
Nature of Contract: Permanent
Reports to: Fundraising & Communications Director
Reporting to this post: Partnerships Manager, Legacy and Trusts Officer
Travel Requirements: Regular national and international travel
Budget Responsibilities: Income / Expenditure
Asset Responsibilities: Own assets and those used by others
The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the strategic plan for Save the Children South Africa’s partnership fundraising activities covering, Corporate, Institutional, Major Donor and Trusts income streams. The Head of Business Development will lead the team tasked with devising the marketing and conceptualisation of all proposals, products and events that enable the team to reach their income goals. The individual will be responsible for forecasting and monitoring the combined pipeline for these income streams and is expected to diversify our current income footprint over the next 3 years.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Implement a compelling strategic fundraising programme that resonates with our target market of individuals, institutions, family trusts and corporate donors
- Lead the partnerships proposal development process from beginning to end, including internal stakeholders and processes
- Diversify our income streams through implementation of new products, prospecting and relationship development in the corporate sector, while ensuring our institutional income continues to make a significant impact on our programs
- Develop and implement a retention and development program to steward all partnership donors
- Execute and monitor unit plans and manage all unit budgets, both income and expenditure
- Ensure proposal development, program design, reporting and implementation is of the highest quality
- Ensure SCSA is taking full advantage of the global Save the Children system and tools such as AMS
- Represent SCSA to the Save the Children membership and leverage SCSA leadership to network and build relationships within the movement; including regular member calls, donor visits, donor reviews and global conferences and trainings
- Identify priority audiences through donor profiling, analysis and market trends
- Maximize income through the effective and timely administration of proposals and/or bequests and maintenance of records to inform forecasting
- Work with the Fundraising and Communications Director to continue to develop Save the Children’s ability to forecast income from the unit
- Provide written and verbal reports on all activities, including clear, accurate and reliable financial updates and forecasts
- Ensure that communications sent to prospects are appropriate at all times
- Monitor and maintain an awareness of current legislation, trends and new developments in taxation, BBBEE, regulations, and competitor activity, to ensure that Save the Children South Africa actively considers all new opportunities and can responds to any changes in the marketplace
- The employee will be required and expected to execute any lawful instruction given by the line manager or delegated person.
BEHAVIOR AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES (Living the Values)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds colleagues accountable to deliver on their responsibilities — giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Focused on achieving external impact for the campaign
- Clear ability to understand other people’s perspective and address reasonable concerns and needs
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- We endeavour to treat everyone with respect, empathy and compassion.
- We value passion, determination, perseverance and the sense of urgency. We believe in adopting a realistically positive and optimistic attitude towards everything we do because this inspires others to share the same outlook.
- We believe in creating a learning organisation in which staff members commit themselves to personal growth and, in so doing, seek and share knowledge and information.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Post matric qualification or equivalent (certificates and/or evidence of additional technical fundraising training)
- 5+ years of experience in two of; Institutional, Corporate, Legacy, Major Donor and Trusts fundraising and broad exposure to all four technical approaches
- Evidence of significant success in leading fundraising activities leading to donations >ZAR1,000,000
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Experience that demonstrates ability to launch and/or scale up fundraising activities
- Knowledge of A/B testing and scaling
- Excellent presentation, writing and selling skills
- Understanding of the South African funding market
- Detailed understanding on child rights and development programming
- Good time management skills
- Track record in achieving income targets over ZAR 5 million per annum
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, a second language desirable
- Competent Microsoft Office user
Please email your application to [email protected]. Please specify the role you are applying for.
Application Deadline: 25th October 2019