Smile Train is an international children’s charity that provides 100%-free cleft repair surgery and comprehensive cleft care to children in 85+ developing countries. Our sustainable model empowers local doctors to provide cleft care in their own communities.
Job Title: Program Assistant
Job Location: Based in Southern Africa Region, preferably based in Mozambique
The overall purpose of the role is to assist the Southern Africa Program Manager to devise, plan and implement local strategies to achieve the mission and goals of Smile Train in terms of high-quality and safe cleft lip and palate care through effective management of programs and partnerships in Southern Africa.
Ensuring and taking full responsibility for all legal compliances within the region and with the applicable laws of the United States. Be the ‘face’ of Smile Train in the region. Acting when and where is necessary to ensure the best interests of the organization and our programs. Preparing and monitoring the budgets.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Assisting the Program Manager in developing and implementing an annual budget and long-term and short-term action plans to reach as many cleft-affected children as possible with cleft treatment, as quickly as possible, in the most cost-effective manner, whilst maintaining high standards of safety and quality
- Instituting suitable business processes and necessary control mechanisms for the continual monitoring of financial, programmatic, and medical targets in the region
- Assisting the Program Manager in receiving, reviewing, and analyzing all grant requests from local stakeholders, most typically local partner hospitals, and carry out ‘due diligence’ to either reject or approve those that fall within the agreed financial authority and plans
- Ensuring all operations are legally and financially transparent and in compliance with all local laws and laws of the U.S. that apply to local business practices
- Being the local representative and spokesperson for Smile Train, and the ‘eyes and ears’ in the region
- Leading efforts to share Smile Train’s global messaging locally and help to build the brand and awareness of Smile Train programs in Southern Africa
- Capturing and sharing stories, images, and videos that help to tell Smile Train’s story and that could be used across the organization to further Smile Train’s mission
- Maintaining communication with existing partner hospitals and work together to ensure success of current and future programs
Suitable candidates for the Program Assistant vacancy should possess the following:
- Sound professional qualifications – including a degree in Medicine, Public Health, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or Accounting
- Thorough familiarity with the cultures of Southern Africa and fluency in English and Portuguese are essential
- 3-5 years related work experience in a coordination or management position in a large multinational or national for-profit or not-for-profit organization with significant project management experience
- Ability to work with a global team, exhibiting cultural sensitivity, a commitment to Smile Train’s mission, strong time management skills, and capacity to work independently with minimal or no supervision
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Tuesday 31st July 2018 to [email protected]