Sex Worker Education and Advocacy Taskforce (SWEAT) is a dynamic non-governmental organisation that addresses the health and human rights of sex workers.
Job Title: Sisonke Media Liaison Officer
Location: Cape Town
The purpose of this position is to be responsible for liaising with the media with regard to sex work, in the provinces, working closely with the SWEAT Media Officer and Sisonke Membership & communication Officer. The post holder will also assist with the management of all online and virtual platforms as well a social media. Part of the incumbent’s duties include assisting with the planning of public events.
- Media Liaison:
- Responding to the media requests, with the assistance of the Media Officer and Membership & communication Officer.
- Participate in training with a focus on engaging with the media.
- Conduct research before speaking to the media, ensuring our message is well supported by evidence and statements made are supported by facts, and meet with the Media Officer and Membership & communication Officer before all media interviews.
- Speak directly with the media when requested to do so- appearing on radio, TV and in print media.
- Proactively respond to media reports on sex work by coordinating Sisonke Media Liaison’s response, or mobilising a response from Sisonke members and SWEAT staff, with the assistance of the Media Officer and Membership & communication Officer.
- Recording all media related activities and reporting this to both Sisonke and the Media Officer and Membership & Communication Officer in the form of a monthly report.
- Ensure that all media activities are accompanied by a consent form and that all ethical processes are adhered to.
- Population Online Platforms:
- Working closely with the Media Officer and Membership & communication Officer to ensure that Sisonke website and social media platforms are vibrant, correct and reflect the organisation’s work.
- Work closely with the Sisonke staff to ensure the Sisonke Facebook page and other social media platforms reflect its activities and vibrancy.
- Respond to questions sent through the social media platforms by responding to them directly, or ensuring that other staff members respond.
- Assist Sisonke Provincial coordinator with events logistics- ensuring that all events are well planned, executed and evaluated.
- Ensure that all events are properly recorded for purposes of internal record keeping.
- Groom other Sisonke members in your province by getting them to attend some interviews with you.
- Report to and liaise with the SWEAT Media Officer and Membership & Communication with regards to all interviews.
- A sex worker
- Experience as a peer educator or similar position
- Member of Sisonke
- Experience in public speaking
- Ability to use a computer the Internet and Email
- Good relationships with other sex workers and stakeholders
Please send the CVs and motivational letter to [email protected] or address it to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Friday, 10 July, 2020