The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) is an independent non-profit organization founded in 2012 by a partnership of African development organizations.
It was built on the work of the Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program (CAADP), a framework for achieving ambitious agriculture development goals set in place by African nations and leaders.
Job Title: Communications Officer
Job Location: Johannesburg
Duration: Twelve Months, renewable.
Purpose of the position is to plan, research, and produce accurate, analytical and thematic content for corporate and programmatic publications, social/digital media, stakeholder briefs and internal communication.
- Content Development
- Develop and implement improved and consistent communication approaches in AFAP including the communication of AFAPs social and economic impact and achievements.
- Update the AFAP Communications Strategy, Policy and Plan.
- Develop consistent communications tools, strategies and materials for use across the organization.
- Utilise and repackage monitoring, evaluation and learning evidence information for communications purposes.
- Assist in the development of appropriate measures to better track the communication of performance, results and learning for AFAP.
- Conceptualise and write creative copy content for internal and external publications: speeches, presentations, media messaging, newsletters, website content, editorial-style articles, briefing notes, video and radio scripts.
- Develop and issue creative content that engages target audiences and demonstrates an understanding of newsworthy copy that journalists will publish for local and international media.
- Manage AFAPs day-to-day interactions with key communication partners to ensure adherence to internal and external partner communication and branding guidelines.
- Review and edit content to ensure the voice is consistent with AFAP brand and proper usage of English (USA) grammar, spelling and structure.
- Work out a message simplification strategy to communicate with a broader stakeholder constituency.
- Facilitate internal intelligence sharing of information of programs.
- Manage AFAP’s style guide.
- Day-to-day management of the AFAP website, including updates, ongoing monitoring and obtaining input from other AFAP staff as necessary.
- Research, plan and implement the medium-to-long term development of the AFAP website to ensure it continues to achieve its objectives.
- Develop and manage social media platforms.
- Develop and leverage an Africa-wide media contacts list.
- Proactively seek media opportunities that support organization- and program- objectives with key media partners, including African outlets – local and national newspapers, trade magazines, radio and television, PR agencies and contractors.
- Co-ordinate the development, production and distribution of PR and media materials (TV and Radio), web-based advertisements and other broadcast media materials.
- Develop and distribute releases to media outlets including TV, radio and print, to high standards consistent with AFAP messaging and editorial guidelines.
- Make use of search engine optimisation, including keyword strategy, key term discovery and optimised content development and prioritisation on the Web.
- Sub-edit and proof read articles.
- Graphic Design
- Design all organizational presentations: PowerPoint and Word designs, email footers and website banners; to promote core organizational activities, as well as to provide communications support to all Business Units.
- Direct all outsourced artwork and designs in order to maintain corporate image and standards.
- Develop marketing artwork to advertise the organization’s actives and events.
- Contribute to the planning of, and arrangements for, AFAP events, in particular regarding the design and production of materials.
- Manage press briefings and press attendance at conferences and workshops.
- Design and disseminate invitations, reports and any other material to the AFAP database, specifically or more broadly.
- Diploma or Degree in journalism, media studies, copywriting, communications, marketing, advertising or relevant qualification
- Strong research, analysis, editing and interviewing skills
- Portfolio that reflects creative copywriting proficiencies
- Experience within African agriculture a distinct advantage
- Computer literate – proficiency in Microsoft Office products: Word, Outlook, Power Point and Excel; Website maintenance (content management)
- The ideal candidate will be a strong copy editor and have excellent stakeholder service skills.
- Excellent analytical writing skills
- Versatility – ability to work across the board, transtioning between functions as necessary
- Team orientation – can work in an integrated team environment
- Consultative capabilities – able to work with all levels of people
- Resilience – maintains composure and deals effectively with stress
- Flexible and adaptable – in light of changing situations
- Methodical and systematic, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Action-oriented, confident and takes initiative
- Operates with integrity
- Delivery and deadline orientated
- A passion for exceptional service
- Willingness to work long hours from time to time
- Own car and hold driver’s license is essential
Qualifying applicants, please send your CV and a one-page cover letter to support your application, along with salary requirements to [email protected]
Application Deadline: 19th July 2019