The Limpopo River Basin is shared by four SADC Member States, namely the Republics of Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe. The commitment of the riparian states to manage the basin water resources in a collaborative manner dates back to 1986, when the “Limpopo Basin Permanent Technical Committee” was jointly established.
In 2003, this cooperation framework was fostered through the multilateral agreement that established the Limpopo Watercourse Commission (LIMCOM), with the objective of “advising the Contracting Parties on the uses of the Limpopo, its tributaries and its waters for purposes and measures of protection, preservation and management of the Limpopo” (LIMCOM agreement 2003).
Job Title: Communications and Visibility Specialist (LIMCOM)
Location: South Africa
With the support of Chemonics International Resilient Waters Programme with funding assistance from USAID, LIMCOM seeks to engage the services of a Communications and Visibility Specialist for the USAID-funded Resilient Waters Program to provide technical support for its institutional partner Limpopo Watercourse Commission (LIMCOM). The Resilient Waters Program, a five-year project, aims to build more resilient and water secure southern African communities and ecosystems through improved management of transboundary natural resources and increased access to safe drinking water and sanitation services. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The Communications and Visibility Specialist position scope:
The Communications and Visibility Specialist will develop and implement a strategy to effectively share information and interact with and respond to LIMCOM’s target audiences. This will be done through a consultative drafting and review process with member states and stakeholders to effectively disseminate the strategic mandate of LIMCOM and raise awareness of its various activities to diverse targeted audiences. The Communications and Visibility Strategy will also guide effective management, circulation, and use of the most relevant information (including receiving and incorporating feedback from target audiences) by LIMCOM. The overall outcome of this assignment will strengthen LIMCOM’s capacity to communicate key messages and engage stakeholders around transboundary water security, resources management, and other key objectives as aligned with the organization’s current program of work.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
The specific tasks of the Communications and Visibility Specialist will include but are not limited to the following:
- Review LIMCOM’s existing draft communications strategy and update as necessary through a broader consultative process with stakeholders and member states.
- Develop a communications and visibility strategy that outline a diverse mix of media protocols and channels that LIMCOM can utilize while describing the advantages and disadvantages of each (e.g. digital, online, social media, print).
- Conduct publicity awareness and outreach campaigns to strategically position LIMCOM on various media platforms.
- Work with service providers for the establishment of the LIMCOM website.
- Develop a robust infrastructure and efficient internal process system to curate all types of media content from the RBO’s leadership, technical experts, partners and various stakeholders (digital, online, print) to ensure LIMCOM has a continuous stream of relevant media content to disseminate.
- Repackage and rebrand communications materials to reflect current LIMCOM’s strategic mandate and the aspirations of a broader stakeholder base.
- Translate key messages from technical reports and repackage them to reach non-technical stakeholders and broader targeted audiences.
- Engage in advocacy and publicity initiatives to promote LIMCOM on various media platforms.
- Develop and maintain effective media relations to continuously and consistently articulate key messages to promote LIMCOM’s programmatic activities.
- Develop an Implementation and Transition Plan with priority activities and cost implications to implement LIMCOM’s communications strategy, including clear alignment with funding/donor requirements.
- As part of the Implementation and Transition Plan, outline the capacity requirements of LIMCOM to successfully implement the overall strategy.
- Review and strengthen previously developed communications materials and tools to ensure they are inclusive and reflect broader aspirations of a wider stakeholder base.
- Make recommendations for and develop additional communications materials and tools to raise LIMCOM’s profile and promote its activities on diverse media platforms.
- Degree in communications, marketing, social sciences, or related fields
- Have at least 5 years of experience in drafting effective communication and visibility strategies for organizations, preferably in the water resources management sector.
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of social media, print media, and other forms of communication tools, and knowledge of how to communicate with a range of stakeholders, including marginalized rural communities.
- Demonstrated experience with designing, delivering, and managing communications products and mass media campaigns.
- Have demonstrated capacity to carry out the assignment based on similar assignments conducted in the past (preferably within the SADC region), including the development of a costed implementation and transition plan
- Strong knowledge of the southern Africa media context highly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Portuguese required.
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations related to communication programs and media campaigns required.
- Previous USAID or other international donor experience preferred.
Estimated length of assignment:
The estimated duration of this assignment is six months
Click Here: https://bit.ly/2NHRJ2g
Application Deadline: May 01, 2020