The Global Health Fellows Program (GHFP-II) is a five year cooperative agreement implemented and managed by the Public Health Institute in partnership with Global Health Corps, GlobeMed, Management Systems International and PYXERA Global. GHFP-II is supported by the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
The USAID South Africa Health Office manages one of the largest President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) programs in the world. The PEPFAR Blueprint describes five action agendas: Impact, Efficiency, Sustainability, Partnership, and Human Rights which direct PEPFAR’s work and catalyze the goal of controlling the epidemic and achieving an AIDS-free generation.
The Xulhaz Mannan Internship is an opportunity for entry-level and mid-career professionals representing key population groups (i.e. Men who Have Sex with Men, Sex Workers, Transgender persons) who are highly stigmatized and affected by the HIV epidemic.
Specifically, the Xulhaz Mannan Intern will be contributing to the following:
- Impact Agenda – Making strategic, scientifically sound investments to rapidly scale-up core HIV prevention, treatment, and care interventions and maximize impact.
- Partnership Agenda – Working with civil society to effectively mobilize, coordinate, and efficiently utilize resources to expand high-impact strategies.
- Human Rights Agenda – Working to end stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV and key populations improving their access to, and uptake of, comprehensive HIV services.
- The Intern will work closely with the Gender Specialist as his/her onsite manager. The Health Office Deputy Director will serve as his/her onsite mentor.
- Gaining experience in the field of international HIV/AIDS programming, particularly as it relates to key populations.
- Gaining a greater understanding of human rights pertaining to HIV/AIDS.
- Deepening skills in collaboration and coordination within a complex organizational and implementation structure.
- Participating in professional development activities provided through GHFP-II and USAID (e.g. via technical presentations, meetings, etc.) as agreed upon with on site-manager (5%).
- PHI Introduction
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Intern will play an important role in ensuring an inclusive, transparent, and effective PEPFAR investment. USAID will be looking to the Xulhaz Mannan Intern to quickly begin to add value in the following roles and responsibilities:
- Human Rights and Impact Agenda (60% LOE)
- Conducting research that will contribute to the strategic design of USAID projects and activities.
- Participating in site visits to USAID projects, especially those focused on key populations.
- Attending USAID partner meetings, especially those focused on key populations.
- Contributing to the strategic design of USAID projects and activities.
- Attending donor committees and South African government working groups.
- Participating in the US government Prevention Technical Working Group.
- Partnership Agenda (40% LOE)
- In coordination with the team, networking with key civil society actors.
- Participating in the development of quarterly dialogues with civil society representatives to inform the PEPFAR investment.
- Approximate local travel (10%)
- Other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned based on organizational and programming need and/or the Intern’s own interests.
- An Intern at the Doctoral Level will be further responsible for:
- Drafting manuscripts for peer reviewed journals, reports, and other documents related to international HIV/AIDS programming, particularly as it relates to key populations.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Currently enrolled masters or doctoral degree candidate in public health or related field; or, completion of such within the past 12 months.
- Experience working in or directly with civil society organizations.
- Experience working with South African civil society groups, particularly those which represent at least one key population group, is preferred.
- South African citizenship or South African Permanent Residency required.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
Location: Pretoria, South Africa