Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and its impact on human rights, with a focus on the financial sector in southern Africa.
They use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold those people and institutions, who commit these human rights violations, to account. Open Secrets exposes and builds accountability for private sector economic crimes through investigative research, advocacy, and the law.
Job Title: Legal intern
Location: Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Employment Type: Starting February / March 2020 for a six-month contract period.
Remuneration: R10,000.00 per month.
- Assist with researching particular aspects of the law, assisting with developing legal strategies based on research, and assisting with drafting letters and other documents.
- From this legal research, summarise research findings and draft internal legal opinions and memorandums.
- Help with drafting reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms. Possibly assisting with drafting for legal journals.
- Contribute to other Open Secrets work areas as needed.
- General administrative and logistical support as needed.
- Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful, and able to manage deadlines), integrity, and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration.
- LLB and post-graduate studies in law (LLM or MPhil or higher degree), preferably with a focus on the intersection between corporate / commercial law and human rights.
- Strong research, writing, and organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Familiar and comfortable with using legal research tools such as LexisNexis, etc.
- Able to work through an intersectional lens.
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible to work in South Africa.
- Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work, and contact details of at least three referees by Friday 31 January 2019.
- The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
- Please send your application to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, 31 January, 2020