Open Secrets is a nonprofit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. The organization uses research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Job Title: Two Interns
Job Location: Salt River, Cape Town
- A legal intern dedicated primarily to legal research support.
- An advocacy and communications intern dedicated primarily to advocacy, media and communications support.
Start date: January 2019
Duration: Nine-month contract period
Salary: R9,500.00 per month
- Undertake research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa
- Read, summarise and archive research material
- Write reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms
- Assist research team in researching law
- Develop litigation strategy
- Draft letters, pleadings and other documents on the People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime and other case work
Advocacy and communications intern
- Assist in managing advocacy and media (including social media) around Open Secrets’ investigations and litigation
- Collaborate with partners in civil society
- General administrative and logistical support
- Students in a related field (law, politics, history, economics, journalism, communications etc.) are preferable
- Work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice
- Team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration
- Research, writing and organisational skills
- Computer Literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
To apply, submit a CV, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least two referees to [email protected]
Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
Application Deadline: 26th November, 2018