OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these ten countries, according to local conditions.
Job Title: Senior Operations Officer
Job Location: Angola
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Finance and Operations Manager and the Senior HR Manager, the Senior Operations Officer provides leadership in execution of financial services in the organisation ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Senior Operations Officer promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with OSISA rules and regulations and implements HR Strategic initiatives in Country.
The Senior Operations Officer supervises and leads the support staff of the Finance Department. The Senior Operations Officer works in close collaboration with the operations programme and project teams in the Country Offices and OSISA HQ staff for resolving complex finance-related issues and information delivery. The Senior Operations Officer will assume a hands-on approach to risk management and provide definitive advice on financial resource for successful implementation of organisational risk management.
The Senior Operation Officer, together with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager, shall also develop external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. auditors, lawyers, bankers and statutory organisations such as Tax Authorities.
Provision of Grants
- The Senior Operations Officer will oversee OSISA’s grantees financial documentation and payments in SERENIC
- S/he will capture payments to grantees
Provision of Travel
- The Senior Operations Officer will assist with all supplier and expense accounts including both the travel and forex accounts as required from time to time
- The Senior Operations Officer will manage and oversee the payments and reconciliation of OSISA’s creditors and advise the Senior Finance and Operations Manager when it comes to managing suppliers and amounts owing to suppliers
- He/she will communicate regularly with all stakeholders on accounts payable, money collection, invoice processing issues, supplier queries and priorities
Budgeting and Forecasting
- The Senior Operations Officer will assist in the preparation of budget and forecast reports for the Senior Finance and Operations Manager on a monthly basis
- He/she will ensure the review of the cash position to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements, timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by Senior Management within the region to obtain estimate of their cash requirements
- S/he is involved in the foundations budgeting process, which involve the preparation and submission of the budget to the budget office to New York in the prescribed format and within the agreed deadline
- The Senior Operations Officer will oversee the processing of all transactions and ensure all entrees are recorder against the appropriate budget category
- He/she will ensure the accuracy and timeliness of bank and general ledger reconciliations, including the individual grant agreements to the grant control account
- The Senior Finance Officer will ensure that journal vouchers processed are correctly recorded and posted in Grant Management System /SERENIC
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in SERENIC for the services provided by OSISA and follow up on cost recovery
- He/she will supervise finance staff and will be responsible for ensuring their professional development and the completion of their performance evaluations, identifying the need for improvements or corrections as necessary
- He/she will also assist staff in Johannesburg and the country offices with technical requirements and problems that arises in the course of their duties
- S/he will be involved in the identification of risks facing the organisation and for identifying and implementing the appropriate interventions and or controls
- The Senior Operations Officer will perform asset counts and the processing and recording of the fixed-assets register in the DRC
- He/she will prepare the calculation and recording of deprecation on OSISA’s fixed assets and process transactions of the disposal and acquisitions of assets
- He/she will also reconcile the fixed asset ledger
- The Senior Operations Officer will produce monthly financial reports reflecting budget versus actual expenditure as well as a variance reports, to OSISA executive and to the finance office in Budapest
- These reports will be submitted to the quarterly meetings of the board
- He/she will, through the use of financial statements, create management reports on a regular basis that are relevant to decision-making processes, measuring performance against measures and targets (output and outcomes) established during finance management planning, against budget objectives, and/or against financial management performance standards used within the NGO industry
- The Senior Operations Officer will evaluate and analyse findings, explore options for corrective action
- The Senior Operations Officer is responsible for preparing the stand alone year-end financial statements and the consolidated year-end financial statements, which incorporate the Johannesburg DRC and Angola offices
- These financial statements involve the reconciliation of all the inter country loan accounts
- S/he plays an important role in the year-end audit by assisting with the audit timetable and by dealing and replying to audit queries
HR and Payroll
- The Senior Operations Officer will assist by providing relevant information for the processing of the payroll and distribution of payments to third parties
- He/she will also assist the reconciliation of third parties and the calculation of applicable payroll taxes where necessary
- S/he is responsible for reconciling the monthly payroll to the reports received from service providers
- Under the supervision of the Senior HR Manager, the Senior Operations Officer will assist with all employee life cycle transactions as per the HR policies and procedures
- This includes recruitment, staff and organisational development, performance management, HR Information Systems Management, Industrial Relations, Salary surveys, job description development and staff separations
- Assist the Senior Finance and Operations Manager in ensuring efficient cash management through the monitoring of cash budgets and foreign currencies
- Under the guidance of the Admin Manager, the Senior Operations Officer will assist in the development of OSISA’s travel strategy and policies
- S/he will be responsible for the implementation of OSISA’s travel processes and procedures in Angola
- The Senior Operations Officer will oversee the provision of travel and related services and ensure OSISA is receiving competitive travel rates at all times in Angola
- S/he will compile reports relating to travel for the Admin Manager and assist in reviewing and approving costs related to all travel requests
- S/he will ensure that all travelling staff is equipped with the necessary resources and travel documentation
- The Senior Operations Officer will ensure all travel risks are identified and mitigated
- The Senior Operations Officer will be responsible for the upkeep of OSISA Angola offices and ensure that facilities are well looked after and presentable
- S/he will manage relevant staff and external service providers to upkeep the OSISA’s offices in compliance with Health and Safety requirements
- He/she will also manage the procurement of office equipment and consumables
- The Senior Operations Officer will manage the coordination of OSISA Angola events
- S/he will liaise with service providers and the communications unit, ensuring such events are well-organised and OSISA’s brand is strongly represented
- The Senior Operations Officer is responsible for the management of OSISA’s vehicles and drivers
- He/she will manage all documentation relevant to vehicle licensing, petrol and insurance.
- S/he will engage with the finance unit where appropriate
Work Environment and Staff Development
- The Senior Operations Officer will ensure the Angola office is an environment that promotes growth, wellbeing, productivity, cohesive teamwork and effective communication
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring the office is integrated with other offices within OSISA
- The Senior Operations Officer will instil OSISA’s values within the team and ensure staff are developed to their best potential
- B Com (hons) degree majoring Accounting or equivalent qualification
- The candidate should have 3 years progressively responsible experience in the finance section of an international or regional NGO
- Must be proficient in both English and Portuguese
Interested applicants should forward a one-page cover letter and a detailed CV to [email protected] with the relevant position as the subject heading.
Closing date for submission is 23 November 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.
OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies.