SECTION27 is a high-profile non-profit organisation that uses public interest law and advocacy to protect, promote and advance human rights and social justice. If you are passionate about human rights, self-motivated and would like to be part of a dynamic team working to challenge inequality and positively influence society, joining SECTION27 could be the opportunity you have been looking for.
Our activities include litigation, research and advocacy to advance and promote the rule of law. We focus on protecting everyone’s right of access to health care services, basic education and sufficient food, as guaranteed by the Constitution.
Job Title: Legal Researcher
- Proactively exploring and researching areas relating to the law and human rights and preparing research reports.
- Writing articles for publication in legal and human rights journals.
- Producing and publishing easily accessible research and fact sheets on the law and human rights.
- Assisting with the drafting of submissions on proposed policy and legislation, including international frameworks and conventions.
- Assisting with the drafting of court papers.
- Interviewing and taking statements from deponents and potential deponents.
- Providing administrative assistance related to case work or other individual needs specific to the legal counsel involved.
- Teaching, training and conducting rights education workshops.
- Making presentations at meetings and conferences.
- Developing partnerships locally, regionally and internationally with other human rights organisations.
- Assistance to teams on all aspects of campaigns including through project management where appropriate.
- University degree within the field of Law.
- 1-2 years as a researcher or in a related capacity at a tertiary institution, NGO or in the private sector.
- Prior experience in human rights work and/or public health and legal research.
- Knowledge of constitutional law.
- Strong research, written and analytical skills.
- Good communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible and adapt to the objectives and work areas of S27.
- Good time management.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Willingness to work beyond official working times.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to travel at times.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Proficiency in one or more indigenous South African language languages.
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a motivation as to why you are interested in the position to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 13 November, 2020