Society for Family Health (SFH) is a South African affiliate of Population Services International (PSI), an international NGO network that operates in over 50 countries. SFH in South Africa currently concentrates on issues of HIV/ AIDS with the view to strategically expand to other public health areas.
As part of its HIV/AIDS control efforts, SFH is using social marketing to motivate behaviour change concerning consistent condom use, HIV testing, and other safer behaviours.
Job Title: Associate Legal Counsel
Department: Legal Services
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Employment status: Permanent
Reports toGeneral Counsel (GC)
Duties and Requirements
- Analyzes & negotiates unique contract requirements, terms, conditions & special provisions to ensure compliance with applicable regulations & PSI objectives
- Advises PSI internal clients/BU’s on contractual rights/obligations & provides interpretation/guidance on contract terms & conditions
- Drafts, edits & finalize briefs, memoranda, reports, legal opinions, correspondence & other legal documents
- Performs special projects & legal portfolio management as requested by GC
- Reviews the legal, business & regulatory environment for legal changes & new risks
- Reviews & interprets legislation/regulations & local country laws applicable to PSI’s operating jurisdictions
- Provides oversight & management of legal matters outsourced to external counsel
- Supports PSI’s Legal Services Team in terms of audit requests & reviews by outside agencies as required
- Identifies, analyzes & escalates high-risk matters to the GC & and keeps the GC updated on progress & resolution of these matters
- Identifies, develops, implements & models standard operating procedures & legal best practices to achieve PSI’s strategic objectives, while minimizing costs & mitigating legal risk to PSI
- Maintains a high ethical standard of practice, including compliance with all PSI policies & procedures & supports Ethics & Compliance Program(s)
- Manages Legal services systems, processes; provides inputs to trainings, policy, procedure development etc.
REQUIRED SKILLS & PREFERED QUALIFICATIONS
- Certified Commercial Contracts Manager (CCCM) or LLM (Corp/Commercial law)
- Independent judgment & analysis applied to resolution of legal/contractual issues
- Ability to influence, negotiate effectively & devise workable options & solutions
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound interpretation/application of statutes & regulations
- Excellent interpersonal skills – communicate/interact effectively both internally & externally
- Ability to work in a fast pace, complex environment & effectively multi-task to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of Software Applications
- Excellent English verbal & written communication skills
- Travel occasionally; work long or flexible hours as needed
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent & license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- 5 years’ relevant legal experience with at least 3 years focusing on contracts/in-house legal
- Experience drafting, negotiating & managing complex, wide-ranging, multi-party transactions & agreements
- Experience interacting with BU’s & managing diverse legal portfolios aligned to strategic program goal.
Please send your full application to [email protected] . All application submissions will be reviewed and considered; only the most qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted for interviews. SFH is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline: 13 December 2019