The Equal Education Law Centre (EELC) focuses on public interest litigation and advocacy to advance the right to basic education in South Africa. The Law Centre also aims to develop young, skilled attorneys and law graduates in public interest litigation.
Job Title: Candidate Attorney for Bertha Justice Fellowship programme
Job Location: Cape Town
- Assist in strategic litigation cases
- Research in support of advocacy and litigation activities
- Conduct field research in communities
- Draft pleadings and legal opinions
- Assist in the drafting of research reports
- Provide input into draft policies and legislation
- Prepare documents for, and appearing in, court
- Liaise with clients, counsel and partners
- Represent EELC in civil society and public forums
- An LLB degree (completed by January 2019)
- A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice
- A strong interest in research as a component of lawyering
- Oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in other South African languages will be an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to make a two year commitment
To apply submit to [email protected] with the subject Candidate Attorney 2019 application:
- A covering letter motivating why you have the necessary motivation, qualifications, skills and experience for this position as well as the names and contact details of two referees
- A detailed CV
- A writing sample of no longer than five pages
Please note that we are looking for candidates who wish to pursue a career in social justice in particular rather than just securing articles.
Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged population groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 31 August, 2018