WESSA (the Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa) is a South African environmental organisation which aims to initiate and support high impact environmental and conservation projects to promote participation in caring for the Earth. For over 90 years we have proactively engaged with the challenges and opportunities presented by our country’s unique natural heritage and the social and economic systems that depend on it.
Job Title: Head of Membership
Job Location: Johannesburg
Salary: To be discussed
Report to: WESSA CEO
- Effective stakeholder engagement at all levels, internal and external, to profile the work of WESSA
- Support both ExCo and Regional Committees to create meaningful ways to engage volunteers in local initiatives for the environment that will help them to connect with WESSA’s caring for the Earth values
- Lead the strategic direction of WESSA Membership to ensure Membership strategy is aligned with organisational strategy, and overseeing the translation of strategy into operational plans that are focused and feasible
- Relevant experience as a volunteer coordinator on a macro scale nationally
- Relevant experience with stakeholder leadership and important relationship building
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree and/or diploma required in an environmental discipline
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders across different geographies, combining impact on the ground within South Africa’s socio-, political- and environmental realities
- Experience serving on management / leadership team required
- Belief in the value of membership and the role it can play in the future of the organisation
- Experience as a member of one of the recognised environmental NGOs for at least two to five years and served on the committee of those organisations an advantage
- Experience in the membership services context and/or network management ideal, and in the use of social media for organisational purposes
- Interpersonal skills and an engaging presence, along with diplomacy, tact, and good humour
- Passion for addressing environmental and social challenges
- High level of integrity and confidentiality is essential
- Be mobile and be prepared to travel extensively due to this being a national role
- Own transport and driver’s license is essential
To apply, Submit your application to Sarah Alcock, Human Resources Manager via email to [email protected] state: ‘Head of Membership’ in the subject line
WESSA is committed to equality, employment equity, and diversity.
In accordance with the employment equity plan of WESSA and its employment equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited, to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
WESSA reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised. Candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply for positions.
Application Deadline: 29th August, 2018