Posted on :
3 May, 2012
3 May, 2012
Job Number: 1435368
Business GE Global Growth & Operations
Business Segment: Global Growth & Operations – Africa
About Us: We are GE. We’re a global infrastructure, finance and media company taking on the world’s toughest challenges. And we are taking the strengths that have made us an industry leader and putting them to work in service of a new era of global business, with a focus on the world and the people we share it with. Through initiatives like ecomagination and healthymagination, we are developing the next generation of products and services to improve the way we use resources, impact our communities and care for each other.
Join GE and you’ll discover a career opportunity of incredible diversity – across disciplines and around the globe. No other company invests in the development, training and advancement of its employees the way we do, because we believe it is our innovative thinking that is our strength, and that strength is what enables GE to make a positive impact on tomorrow, today.
From jet engines to power generation, financial services to water processing, and medical imaging to turning imaginative ideas into leading products and services. GE is imagination at work.
Posted Position Title: Project Development Leader – Sub Saharan Africa
Career Level: Experienced
Function Business Management
Function Segment: Executive Management
Location: South Africa
City: Lagos, Luanda, Nairobi, Johannesburg
Relocation Assistance No
Role Summary/Purpose: GG&O Project Development / Strategic Initiatives will support GE businesses in driving profitable growth initiatives by structuring and implementing creative business deals. Development will include external partnering initiatives as well as internally focused efforts. This initiative’s mandate is to drive growth of the GE businesses, primarily through identifying, screening, negotiating and structuring of co-development opportunities, both short term and long term.
Essential Responsibilities This Africa Project Development Leader will lead a team of Project Development Leaders; each assigned to target & support a specific GE business i.e. Energy, Healthcare, Oil & Gas or Transportation with a focus on its growth potential or margin potential and will undertake specific activities as part of the sub-Saharan region. Strategic efforts include development support of key NPI, strategic projects and economic or market evaluations.
• Responsible for originating, developing, promoting & managing a portfolio of development projects across GE businesses for GE Africa.
• Responsible for identifying, screening, selecting and structuring new commercial opportunities in support of the GE businesses in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Responsible for initiating commercial agreements/arrangements associated with the projects, manage risk assessments and identify possible sell-up activities.
• Formulates and generates project investment proposals for HQ & Officer level review.
• Support the GG&O Commercial Operations Leader as a high-level global resource supporting budgeting, accountability and providing a roadmap and direction for growth.
• Coordinates business planning and budgeting activity within the region and interfaces with/provides input to GE businesses to help formulate strategy.
• Develops and manages team of Project Development Managers ensuring 100% compliance with GG&O Africa vision and strategy.
• Acts as overall team touch point for Project Development team.
Qualifications/Requirements: • University degree, preferably in Engineering and/or Finance.
• MBA or Master’s degree in a related field.
• Minimum 12 years’ experience in an infrastructure position (Power & Water, Oil & Gas, Healthcare or Transportation) with strong understanding of the key stakeholders, environment including project development agreements, EPC agreements, management of consultants and subcontractors, land deals, permitting procedures, project finance structures and financial models.
• Demonstrated executive level relationship building.
• Demonstrated project management and financial skills in cost/budgeting.
• Strong communication and negotiation skills.
• Computer literate (Word / Excel / Power point and MS Project).
• Proven ability to influence and drive change through exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated tendency to challenge the status quo and drive constant improvement in process and ability to achieve organizational goals.
• Great presentational skills, able to present ideas in a way that produces understanding and impact.
• Ability to develop and execute multiple priorities and approaches to meet objectives. Proven ability to effectively communicate across a distributed workforce.
• Demonstrated management skills i.e. ability to motivate and work well with diverse, cross-functional teams.
• Deep knowledge of the African infrastructure environment an advantage
Desired Characteristics • Project Management Professional (PMP) qualifications.
• Green Belt or Black Belt certification (GE Employees Only).
• Fluency in English language, French or Portuguese as applicable to country location.
• Solid Knowledge of African Market / Environment.
Job Segments: Business Manager, Engineer, Engineering, Management, MBA, Project Manager, Technology, Wastewater, Water Treatment