Common Good is a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit organisation founded by Common Ground Church in 2005, working in a range of communities. We’re passionate about addressing issues of social justice that challenge our city. We seek to make a positive and lasting impact in the areas of early life, education and employment, so that individuals and communities across Cape Town can build brighter futures for themselves.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who will be responsible for the professional development of teachers, school leaders, and Common Good coaches. The ideal candidate will be responsible for ensuring that school leaders and teachers receive the appropriate balance of challenge, support and professional development that facilitates teaching improvement in the classroom and crucially, achieves outstanding outcomes for learners.
The candidate will be responsible for the provision of strategic direction, design and implementation of the Instructional Development Programme and model of Common Good, contributing to the strategic direction of professional development for Common Good coaches based on best practices in effective instruction. The successful incumbent will be the ambassador of Common Good culture and the education coaching model.
Job Title: Coaching and Professional Development Lead
Location: South Africa
Your priorities will include:
- Ensuring that school leaders and teachers receive the appropriate balance of challenge, support and professional development that facilitates teaching improvement in the classroom and crucially, achieves outstanding outcomes for learners
- The provision of strategic direction, design and implementation of the Instructional Development Programme and model of Common Good
- Contributing to the leadership of teaching and learning to ensure alignment to Common Good’s goals of academic excellence
- The professional development of Common Good teacher coaches
- Contribution to the strategic direction of professional development for Common Good coaches based on best practices in effective instruction
- Recruiting and training new additions to the CG team in the coaching model and methodology Collaborating with Common Good partners in the training and coaching of Common Good coaches in the model and methodology.
Ambassador of Common Good culture, and the Coaching Model:
- Vision aligned with Common Good’s high aspirations and high expectations of self and others
- An unwavering commitment to Common Good’s vision, values and resulting behaviours
- Set high aspirations and lead effective strategies across all aspects of coaching and professional development
- Rigorously monitor progress against the actions required to meet set objectives
- Overall responsibility for reporting to the Head of Education on the strategy, improvement initiatives and progress of teacher coaching and PD in each school
- Establish a shared culture between schools that enables everyone to work collaboratively, share best teaching practice, and collaborate in professional development
- Establish creative, responsive and effective approaches to teaching and learning
- Ensure that high quality teaching is at the heart of strategic planning and resource management.
- Professional development of Common Good coaches:
Lead the program for the Instructional Development of Common Good coaches
- Provide strategic direction, design and implementation of the Instructional Development Programme in the School Operating Partner
- Develop capabilities in teacher coaching and development of instructional coaches as identified within schools and grown in SOP
- Contribute to leadership of teaching and learning strategies and interventions to ensure alignment to Common Good’s goals of academic excellence
- Contribute to the strategic direction of professional development for Common Good coaches based on best practices in effective instruction
- Recruit and train new additions to the Common Good coaching team in the coaching model and methodology
Professional development and coaching of school leaders and teachers:
- Lead the program for the Instructional Development of school leaders and teachers
- Work with the School Principals in ensuring clear alignment of coaching and ongoing professional development as a key school improvement priority
- Provide strategic direction, design and implementation of the Instructional Development Programme across schools
- Strategic leadership of continuing professional development for teachers at all levels (including principals, deputy principals, HODs and SMT members)
- Observe, mentor, and provide guidance to identified leaders and instructional coaches, Heads of Department and subject mentors across a range of schools as our portfolio grows
- Develop capabilities in teacher coaching and development of instructional coaches as identified within schools
- Embed a culture growth and support in the teachers at our schools
- Provide regular feedback to school leadership based on observations and feedback from coaches, of classroom instruction, content teams, and school-based professional development
- Contribute to the strategic direction of professional development for teachers on best practices in effective instruction and feedback from coaches
- Contribute to school improvement planning process that encourages leadership from school staff and focus on key strategic priorities for school transformation
- Contribute to on-boarding of new schools in sharing educational model and process for coaching
- Create and deliver professional development programs for schools as required and support/supplement WCED and Professional Development trainings to ensure realization of teacher development goals
- Be accountable for the progress and development of teachers as aligned with Common Good targets for school improvement
- Contribute to the school improvement planning process of schools with caching as an identified priority
- Support and lead the design and implementation of practices for monitoring the success of teacher coaching programs in the schools
- Participate in the development of appropriate measures for teacher performance monitoring
Personal Professional development and mentorship:
- To succeed in this role necessitates a commitment to personal professional development.
- The Coaching and PD Lead should be excited about his/her own professional development and will be required to participate in Common Good’s mentorship programme for this role.
- Recognised REQV14 teacher qualification/Recognised 3 to 4 year teaching qualification
- 5 years actual classroom teaching experience
- Successful team leadership experience and strong track record of results
- Willingness to contribute to the values and ethos of Common Good is essential.
Skills and Knowledge
- Clear ability to set and develop the strategic coaching vision for each school with the Principals and rigorously monitor progress against the actions required to meet them
- Understands how to set high aspirations and lead effective whole-school coaching and professional development programs in schools
- Skilful and engaging leadership and political nous for maintaining effective working relationships with school leaders and teachers
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Passion for Social Justice demonstrated through background/experience
- Extreme flexibility and the ability to multi-task, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high levels of responsibility and multiple priorities, while working towards clarity in an ever-changing environment;
- Experience of having worked successfully in at least one school in an urban, multi-cultural setting, teaching students from backgrounds of socioeconomic disadvantage (Preferred).
Your application should comprise:
- A cover letter, no longer than three pages, outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role. The cover letter should also include the names of three referees.
- Please note that these referees will not be contacted until late in the process and with your prior agreement. Your application and the names of referees will be held in strictest confidence.
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions, responsibilities held and relevant achievements.
The full job description / job profile can be found on our website www.commongood.org.za/careers/
Applications Deadline:30 October 2019