Posted on :
8 Oct, 2013
8 Oct, 2013
As the Assistant Tax Manager for South Africa you will support all tax aspects of IBM’s operations in the country under the Country Tax Manager. This includes the regulatory requirements as well as supporting our business activities (including sales and distribution, services delivery and international shared services centers).
You will deal with all the Corporate Income Tax, Withholding Tax and VAT / GST compliance matters, including having shared and designated responsibility for the relationships with external service providers. This would include preparing the submission of tax returns and preparation of making of tax payments. You will coordinate tax audits under the supervision and instruction of the Country Tax Manager and manage the relationship with the tax authorities in conjunction with the Country Tax Manager.
The management of our various business units may seek your expert advice on tax questions in both a domestic South African and a cross border context, your experience and strong academic knowledge will aid you in order to support business.
Corporate Income Taxes:
• Prepare tax returns and prepare tax payments for review by the Country Tax Manager.
• Provide guidance to IBM’s Accounting-function on tax adjustments (permanent/timing), prepare tax calculations for US-deferred taxes according to FAS109 and review tax account reconciliations.
• Prepare tax-reports to US-tax department, where applicable.
• Liaise with tax authorities to ensure adequate documentation for tax audits is prepared and stored and manage audits with the assistance of external service providers.
• Be responsible for the withholding tax process supported by IBM’s in country Accounting-function, e.g. by obtaining the certificates and or liaising with business about correct rates.
• Review VAT returns from the VAT department.
• Ensure adequate documentation for tax audits is prepared and stored.
• Liaise with Regional VAT team on international projects.
• Provide tax advice and counsel to IBM management and business units
• Review contract proposals and provide tax position in association with the regional and worldwide tax functions
• Track legislative changes in South Africa and pro-actively inform team of these changes.
• Maintain tax processes.
• Act as SOX- process preparer for tax processes.
Ideally you have proved your leadership as manager in one of the “Big 4” or as in-house tax manager in a MNC. Having a commercial outlook, strong business acumen and an awareness of risk would be to your advantage. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work under pressure will nicely round off your profile.
At least 5 years experience in practical tax compliance
At least 5 years experience in understanding relevant statutes with a sound understanding and appreciation of accounting principles
At least 5 years experience in applying financial and statistical analysis
At least 5 years experience in tax regulations / laws / integrity and ethics
At least 6 years experience in practical tax compliance
At least 6 years experience in understanding relevant statutes with a sound understanding and appreciation of accounting principles
At least 6 years experience in applying financial and statistical analysis
At least 6 years experience in tax regulations / laws / integrity and ethics